3 vs 4 blue tooth range

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by wendal, Dec 23, 2019.

1. wendal

wendal New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I have read the blue tooth range on the series 3 is about 30 feet.
    The range on the series 4 is about 300 feet.
    Is this true in the real world?
    Also if you in your house with wifi can you go from room to room and still be connected to your phone?
    thanks

2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Bluetooth 4.0 has an upper range limit in the region of 300 feet or so but can be much less depending on local conditions such as walls and anything that can block radio waves.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ken

Ken New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi
    I have recently started using my wife’s Apple Watch series 4. As a novice I am confused! The watch is cellular. It’s Bluetooth range is about 30 feet. I would like to listen to bbc radio 4 using Bluetooth earphones and watch only but I seem to need the phone in Bluetooth range for it to work. If this is the case I might as well listen to the radio on the iPhone using my Bluetooth earphones rather than the watch. What is the point in the watch!! I think I must be missing something!!

4. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

Do you have a cellular plan for your watch? If you have an active cellular plan with your watch or are connected to WiFi, you can listen to your music without having the phone nearby.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ken

Ken New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi
    Many thanks for your response. Yes I have a cellular plan but it is not music I would like to get on my watch(with Bluetooth earphones). I would like to listen to live bbc radio 4 while out jogging without my mobile.

6. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

Is there a BBC radio 4 app in your local App Store? If there is and you have it on your Apple Watch you should be able to use it when away from your iPhone if the data CB plan for your watch is active.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ken

Ken New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi Many thanks for your reply
    BBC radio is the main public radio broadcaster in the UK. The only app which plays it is BBC sounds and also iPlayer which run on iPhone but not Apple Watch. From your response therefore it seems I cannot run BBC radio on my watch without carrying an iphone. This would appear to be a major shortcoming of Apple Watch for users in the UK

8. Ken

Ken New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    PS to my last post
    Even when the Apple Watch and iPhone are on the same wifi but without Bluetooth the watch is unable to play radio stations on the Radioplayer third party app. Is this correct? In which case I am very disappointed with Apple Watch !

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Nothing stopping the hardware from doing it. BBC needs to create the app (or extend the iPhone app) for the watch. As of now, the BBC doesn’t seem to have any watch apps. Not even ones that still depend on the iPhone to work.

But there is hope. The ability for the Apple Watch to stream audio over cellular is relatively new. Yes, new as of several months ago, but it can take he industry a bit to adjust.

As far as I know, only Pandora has implemented the new feature so far. I don’t have Pandora, but a search of the free site shows a station called BBC Radio Radio. It’s probably not what you are looking for, and it might not play on the watch app; but it shows the capability is there. If not from BBC themselves, then perhaps a third party app.

Though I seem to remember the BBC cracking down on unlicensed streaming of their content recently.

• Like Like x 2
  10. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Addendum:

I did a little experimenting. When I listened to and favorited the three BBC station available in Music on the iPhone, they appear under stations in the Radio app on the Apple Watch. I was able to play these directly from the watch. I was on Wi-Fi and in range of my iPhone, but since changing things on the watch was not changing them on the iPhone, I assume it will work on cellular and out of range of the iPhone and Wi-Fi (assuming you have a cellular capable watch).

I’m in the United States. Different countries will probably have different stations available, based on local laws and licensing.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ken

Ken New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi
    Many thanks indeed for all the information.
    I have separately emailed ‘Radioplayer’ who have confirmed that their app does not work on cellular without Bluetooth in contradiction to information I read somewhere on the internet. Many thanks again
    Ken

• Like Like x 1
  12. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    No problem.