Apple Watch 2 display came loose....[emoji33]

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by Data_Daedalus, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Data_Daedalus

Data_Daedalus Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I discovered with horror, on Wednesday that the display screen of my Apple Watch 2 had come loose on one side, and was about to come off completely!

I’ve no idea what happened! I don’t swim with it, I don’t bath or even shower while wearing it! I’m old school, so believe that electronics and liquids don’t mix.

I certainly did not damage it in anyway by knocking or otherwise hitting against anything. I’m not a DIY guy, and I treat all my electronics with kids gloves - I still have a working Nokia N7710 touch screen multimedia phone that works!

I’ve taken it to my local Apple Store where I bought it. Their Guru Team had a look and have forwarded it for “repairs”......though I do believe a replacement should be in order here!

I’m now without an Apple Watch () and, yes, I’m missing it every single moment!
    Has this happened to anybody else?

I’ll keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 1
  2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

The only thing holding the display onto the case is glue, which in your case failed. It should be a simple fix. I hope you backed up your Apple Watch before having it sent off for repair. The act of unpairing your Apple Watch stores a full backup in the Watch app on your iPhone.
    I’ve had an Apple Watch since day one and have had no problems with the display coming loose. I have heard of it happening to a number of owners.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Data_Daedalus

Data_Daedalus Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Thanks, Scifan57. Yes, my Apple Watch was indeed unpaired at the Apple Genius Bar, and they confirmed it had all been backed up. Fortunately, I had invested in Apple Care+ at time of original purchase, so, hopefully it will either be properly fixed, or, as they promised, they’ll send me a brand new replacement - which I honestly prefer! Considering how careful I’ve been with the device, I’m shocked that the glue’s integrity failed.

Thankfully, there wasn’t a single mark on the device, not a single scratch! Let’s see what happens eventually. It’s supposed to be ready for collection on 8th December 2018.

• Like Like x 2
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I’ve heard of the back of the watch coming loose, but never the face. Like Sicfan, I’ve never had a mechanical issue with my Apple Watches. I’ve owned the first gen, the series 3, and now the series 4.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Data_Daedalus

Data_Daedalus Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Perhaps I was just very unlucky. Or.....I’m a human x-file, and somehow had a kinetic effect on the AW2 on my wrist.....

For what it’s worth, it’s the FIRST Apple device that I’ve ever owned, that’s developed a defect.

My iPod Video version 5.5 (with the click-wheel) still works perfectly - I bought it in 2005...!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

The only Apple device of mine that developed a defect was my iPhone 6 Plus. I had it exchanged for free under AppleCare+ Three days before the AppleCare+ expired.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Data_Daedalus

Data_Daedalus Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I’m still using an iPhone 6s Plus - I’m typing on it right now

I’ve upgraded the whole family, so it’s just me now saving up for my next upgrade.... Do I go for an Xs or an Xr....?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  8. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

Maybe the next generation after that, depending on how long the saving takes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ssnattacksub

ssnattacksub New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Water usually won’t cause the adhesive to fail. However, there are two things that will:

1. Solvents (including winder, alcohol, acetone, xylene, gasoline, etc. just to name a few)

2. But the #1 thing is heat. If you’ve left your Apple Watch in a really hot car or somehow exposed to hot air, it can come unglued. Usually this takes a lot of heat like >100degC (210deg F).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Data_Daedalus

Data_Daedalus Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I’m afraid no solvents have ever splashed onto my treasured Apple Watch 2. I’m not in any line of work where that might happen.

I also don’t leave it in frightfully hot locations. I’m old school and employ the basic knowledge of physics and chemistry when protecting all my Apple devices - water resistant or not.

I even protect it from ordinary rain fall .

Now, if by some quirk of fate, I’m giving off invisible rays of infrared or other unknown mutant energies from my left wrist.........that might be responsible....but I largely doubt that.

I also don’t have acid for blood.....though my sweat has been known to corrode the metal frames of past spectacles I’ve owned. I now use exclusively titanium frames, and they don’t corrode. My AW2 looked virtually spotless for an almost two year old device when I handed it in at the Genius Bar. Indeed, the dude thought I’d just bought it...!!!

I’ve been known to have bad night sweats (I suffer from APS) but that’s only during my sleep phase - when my Apple Watch is charging by my bed side. I work in an Air-conditioned office, ditto with my car, so don’t think my acidic sweat is at fault.

Or is it?

• Like Like x 2
  11. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    There does not have to be something that you or someone else did to the watch. No matter how good the manufacturing process and quality control, there are alway a few devices that are substandard. Too little glue was applied. A batch of old or diluted glue. A sliglhly out of spec case or face. Unless the fault is easily detected at ilnspection, someone is going to get that watch.

If you’re lucky, the failure happens while the warentee is still good. If not, you won the anti-lottery.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Data_Daedalus

Data_Daedalus Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I picked up my replacement Apple Watch 2 on Saturday .

I’m very pleased indeed. I’m really glad I treated myself to a 2 year Apple Care+ warranty at the original time of purchase, January 2017 .

I might shell out on an Apple Watch 4 eventually, and give my significant other half my brand new Apple Watch 2 as an upgrade to her existing series 1.

• Like Like x 3
  13. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

That’s great! Thanks for letting us know.

• Like Like x 1