Apple Watch covers?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by DrumsOfGrohl, Sep 9, 2014.

1. DrumsOfGrohl

DrumsOfGrohl Moderator Staff Member

Do you think we'll need a protective cover on the Watch? I know that it will have sapphire glass, which is nearly unscratchable, but what about the metal part? We could scratch that pretty easily, right?

2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

The aluminum and gold cases could scratch quite easily. I think that the stainless steel case would be better for the active user. As to protective covers, we'll have to wait and see what Apple has up their sleeve.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Hmm, we should start a Kickstarter.

Well make a special case (not strap), and put a chain and clip on it. Watch pockets (those little pockets above your main front pocket) will come back into fashion.

A special edition one will look like an original series Star Trek communicator, and flip open.

Downside: You'll have to hold it to your wrist to send those special heart beat messages.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DrumsOfGrohl

Storing your watch in your pocket completely defeats the purpose of having the Watch. Otherwise, its just a small iPhone that you have to keep with you while your actual iPhone is in your other pocket. And I'd feel like an idiot calling it the Apple Watch, when I have to hold it in my hand to use.

5. JohnnyApple

JohnnyApple Administrator Staff Member

I think it will be just like any other watch. With use it will get tiny scratches -- but these things are made to be worn and used. Always worrying about it keeps you from enjoying it. If it is something you replace every few years it because you love it so much and it is worn, no problem :)

6. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    It was supposed to be a joke, mostly.

But I would not be surprised to see something similar eventually.

7. DrumsOfGrohl

I do, however, thoroughly enjoy the concept of the star trek communicator

8. Skimonkey

Skimonkey New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport

Actually, I love the idea of a pocket watch! There are times when I have to remove my watch at work and would love that option of having a chain option as an accessory!

9. Harley Tink

Harley Tink New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    1 more downside would be that with the lift of your wrist, the screen activates to show current time or notifications. While it is in your pocket, it will be continuously activating and killing your battery. Neat idea but it would require a pocket mode in order to insure proper use. Not to mention, the activity tracker reads heart rates and several other bodily functions due to the infrared lights through the skin on your wrist. This function would be completely lost while riding in your pocket.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Techjas

Techjas Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    well, here's the thing: what if I wear it out in the garden hacking away at stuff? I don't want to take the watch off - I want to do all the 'stuff' that comes with dog walking, grass cutting and all other garden activities I love. Reckon it'll be okay?

11. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I imagine you'd treat it the same as you would any other moderately expensive wrist watch. If you're doing something that has a high risk damaging it, you take it off, maybe stuff it in your pocket. It will probably keep tracking much of what you do (activity wise) though obviously it won't be able to monitor your heart rate.

But, there have been at least two or three protective case products announced, or at least Kickstarted. They are bulky, and so far (in my opinion) ugly, but it looks like a protective case or two will be availablefor those that want or need them. Eventually if not immediately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Maxwell42

Maxwell42 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    My advice is to wear it and enjoy it as much as you can! It's not a gadget for the next 10, nor even 5 years, because technology leaps so fast nowadays. I imagine that most of us will get a newer generation in maximum 3 years. If you check Apple's info for the battery life on the Watch and see the 1000 charging cycles estimation you'll become aware that after three years your battery will provide only half of it's actual strength. Who would wear a watch for half a day? Just my $.02

13. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    80%, not half, in 2.7 years. And that is only true if you run a full 100% discharge/charge every day. Unlikely for most people.

Still, 80% of a battery life that is only 'acceptable' for most users doesn't sound appealing. However, I believe a battery replacement is one of the few repairs Apple will do on the watch. In three years, perhaps the battery itself will be better.

But, I'm just nitpicking. In three years the Apple Watch will have changed so much that getting a new one will be a major temptation; whether old one's battery is still good or not.

• Like Like x 2
  14. hannaluv

hannaluv New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Personally, I would prefer to have a cover because admittedly even though it says it has sapphire glass, it is not that tough as advertised. I'm extra careful when it comes to pricey device though. I have IQ Shield screen protector, a small investment to keep it beautiful.

15. asharp

asharp Guest

After getting my Watch, I lost interest in protectors. I hate the idea of covering it. I'd be curious to see how the uncovered Sport Edition holds up for truly active people though.

I'm sure that if it gets scratched, I'll be upset, but I plan on getting the next generation as long as Apple keeps the Sport Edition at the same price.

16. rockyromero

rockyromero Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    A cover makes tremendous sense for the highly active.

Dropping, bumping, and all kinds of environments are out in the world ready to damage sensitive technology.

When lifting weights, I want to minimize any accidents.

Attached Files:

17. Techjas

Techjas Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    When you say 'cover' do you mean it as 'case'? I am understanding that 'cover' means a Zagg or other screen protector and case to mean something that attaches on/around the watch. Someone gave me a Spigen case and on the 42mm - and a small wrist - the case was pretty overbearing. I use the Zagg protector and learned to otherwise stop wearing my watch if I am climbing trees, for instance.

18. rockyromero

rockyromero Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Yes, I have a Spigen case on a 38mm as in the above picture.

The size may have made a difference for me.

19. Techjas

Techjas Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Well and on a pink watch ~ the Spigen was orange .

20. rockyromero

rockyromero Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Now I know that I have a case on my AW, and I would not put a cover on it, nor do I have a need for it now.

The case is easy enough to remove for dressier occasions. Although, since I have the watch face on the inside of my wrist, keeping the case on all the time makes more sense. This way only the Milanese strap is shown to the world. It's more elegant and has a more minimal look on the wrist.

After all, the Apple Watch is meant to serve me more than to impress others with looks.

Being more aware of my environment as a result of AW notifications is more impressive to me.