Apple watch series 4 quit working

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by Larry Cruzen, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Larry Cruzen

Larry Cruzen New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Really upset because I loved my watch. Yesterday I found that it wouldn’t hold a charge. It would completely discharge in about an hour or two. Today nothing works. It will turn on and show the time on occasion, but swiping on the face or pushing the crown does nothing.

Using my iPhone, I deleted most of the apps to make sure some app wasn’t messing it up....didn’t help.

I have an irregular heartbeat, so I frequently use the ECG app to make sure the pattern doesn’t deteriorate. Gotta get this watch running again. Its a long drive to the Apple store in Knoxville, but it looks like I will have make the trip.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Larry Cruzen

2. gary16XC90

gary16XC90 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Have you contacted Apple Support?

My experience with any Apple product is that they are quite knowledgeable and willing to help - regardless of your Apple Care status.

If the fix is software related, they can help.!if it is hardware related, they can take it so far. The cost of hardware repair will vary - $0 - something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  3. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

If the problem is hardware related and not the result of accidental damage you should still have warranty coverage as the Apple Watch series 4 hasn't been out for a year yet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Larry Cruzen

Larry Cruzen New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Watch is working again. Yesterday morning the battery went totally flat in a couple of hours. I put it on the charger and dug out my old digital watch. This morning I checked the Apple Watch and it was fully charged and is now functioning normally. The battery discharge rate is normal. I am delighted. Maybe it re-booted itself.

A couple of comments: I am suspicious of the Dark Sky app. I had it as a complication on the main face that I use. I often used it to check outside temperature and forecast for the day. It quit working sometime before I noticed the rapid discharge rate on the watch. Perhaps it was continuously trying to communicate with my iPhone. I have not yet re-loaded it on my watch.

Second thing is that if you inadvertently touch the “raindrop“ on the control panel and do not turn the watch crown to clear water from the speaker, the watch will lock up. It will not respond to screen swipes or crown depressions. There will be a blue dot at the top of the screen.

Larry Cruzen

5. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

I’m glad your watch is working again, however it happened.
    BTW, that blue raindrop on the Control Centre is for use when swimming. It disables input from the touchscreen while the watch is in the water.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Larry Cruzen

Larry Cruzen New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Yes, I use it frequently when I’m swimming in the pool in Fla or the lake here in TN.

Is there a way to reboot the watch like you can with the phone or iPad?

• Like Like x 1
  7. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

Press and hold the Digital Crown and side button until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and wait for the restart to finish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Larry Cruzen

Larry Cruzen New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Aha....thank you. Maybe I should have read the instructions. But real men don’t do that.

9. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

You're welcome.