Apple Watch series 4 won’t hold a charge

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by Larry Cruzen, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Larry Cruzen

Larry Cruzen New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    My wife’s Apple Watch (series 4, 40 mm, cellular) now burns thru a 100% charge in less than half the time that mine does. It won’t last a full day. I had a new battery installed, but it made no difference.
    I went through all of the apps looking for one that might be running a GPS continuously. I removed several apps, but wasn’t able to remove the maps app.
    Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve the problem? Is there a way to tell what is using battery power and how much?
    Larry Cruzen

2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Have you tried restoring it to factory condition without adding any apps to see if that makes a difference in battery life?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Larry Cruzen

Larry Cruzen New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi, Scifan57, been a while since we talked.
    No, I didn’t realize that factory condition included no apps. Good idea.
    I presume that would be done by tapping the reset button under general in settings?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Larry Cruzen

Larry Cruzen New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I’m going to do that, but it will take me half a day to find out if that made a difference. I will post the results.
    Hope I can get it back into her current configuration.

• Like Like x 2
  5. gary16XC90

gary16XC90 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    You may want to consider turning off “Find My Device” on your watch before doing the re-set in the Watch App or iCloud before initiating the factory re-set.

I do not recall what the recommendations are from Apple in terms of a factory reset. Since you are not selling or transferring it, it may not matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 1
  6. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

You can’t restore to factory condition without turning off Find My on your Apple Watch.

• Like Like x 2
  7. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

The process of erasing the Apple Watch unpairs it and creates a full backup in the Watch app on the iPhone. You can set up the restored Watch as a new Watch or from the backup that was made.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Larry Cruzen

Larry Cruzen New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I reset her watch, set it up as a new watch and then charged it to 100%. About seven hours later it was completely dead. Appears it may have an internal problem. Can anyone suggest something else to try?

9. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

Are you close enough to an apple store to visit the Genius Bar? They can give the Watch a free diagnostic and confirm whether or not there is a hardware fault.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Larry Cruzen

Larry Cruzen New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Getting to an Apple store involves a drive from Punta Gorda Up to downtown Sarasota….my last resort.
    BUT…I have noticed that the green light on the back of the watch is on continuously. That can’t be good for battery life.
    What does that signify that the watch is doing?

11. Larry Cruzen

Larry Cruzen New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Oh… Never mind. I dug around and found that the green light goes on when the watch is looking for an arm to do a heart rate measurement. It wasn’t on her arm.
    Guess I will make an appointment to go see the genius at the Apple store in Sarasota.

• Like Like x 1
  12. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    The green light should not stay on continuously, on or off the arm, unless you are recording an exercise/activity like walking, running, biking, etc.

It may come on periodically when wearing the watch to check your heart rate. I do not believe it is a set interval, but based on how active you appear to be. So, if idle perhaps every ten minutes or so, but more often if you appear to be walking or moving around a lot. There are both red light green light LEDs. I believe the red light require less power, and are used much of the time, but the green light is more accurate and will come on when the red light sensors can’t or won’t do. I’d have to look that up to be sure, since I’m just vaguely remembering something a read somewhere.

The light(s) should not come on at all when the the watch is not being worn. There is a sensor that detects if the watch is worn (or the back covered by something). I suppose if this sensor were to disabled/broken the watch might turn on the lights and try to check for a heartbeat when not worn.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Larry Cruzen

Larry Cruzen New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thank you, Twerppoet , for the info. I finally managed to get an appointment at the genius bar at the nearest Apple store. We’ll see what they have to say about the situation. I’ll post the results here.

• Like Like x 2
  14. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    No problem. I look forward to finding out how it goes.