Apple Watch Sterling Silver crystal pops off

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by mgdurand, Feb 7, 2018.

1. mgdurand

mgdurand New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi. Bought the first gen Apple watches (sterling silver - Milanese band) for me (42mm) and for my wife (38mm). Have owned for 2 1/2 years. No issues. Today, the crystal on her watch popped off. It did not break or shatter - it just popped away from the rim. Looked on the net and not a unique experience. Contacted Apple and in short they want @ $275.00 to put the crystal back on. It was out of warranty for about 6 months. They would give me a 90 day warranty on this repair. First: anyone else experienced this? Second: with all the people having this issue do you think it is right not to give some concession on a repair? Bought the 3rd generation silver/aluminum watch and it is as good a match IMHO, but just not impressed with the response from Apple for such a workmanship problem on a piece of electronics that cost over $700.00.

• Like Like x 1
  2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

The screen is held on to the case with glue and in a small number of cases the bond can fail, causing the screen to detach from the case. The price you were quoted is the standard out of warranty repair cost for the Apple Watch. Apple is not likely to reduce the price.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mgdurand

mgdurand New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Yes. Did not think that Apple would lower the price after talking to them. Just surprised at the number of incidents I have discovered both locally and on the net. While I learned that they would not budge I was surprised that there was not some sort of concession. That's not chump change for a watch that lasted only 2 1/2 years.

4. tllmnjr

tllmnjr New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Edition
    They replaced mine for free after 2 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1