Connect to WiFi with open login

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Developers' started by Istvanwagon, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Istvanwagon

Istvanwagon New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Is there any way to connect to WiFi on a network that requires you to accept the privacy policy first on a home page (instead of providing a password?). Or could there be development for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Do you want to connect without accepting the privacy policy? If you’re connecting to a WiFi network that’s not your own you have to accept the policies and rules provided to use the network.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Istvanwagon

Istvanwagon New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    No, the privacy policy is not the issue. It is getting that “accept” button to appear in the watch.

4. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

Is your watch able to connect if you’ve accepted the policy on your iPhone first?

5. Istvanwagon

Istvanwagon New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    No - but the phone has accepted the policy before.

A complicating factor is that I am using a WiFi only watch with no phone physically present. (But the phone is at another location and connected to WiFi)

6. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

Try having the watch and iPhone there at the same time. Then the watch should connect to the WiFi hotspot next time it’s there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Istvanwagon

Istvanwagon New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Unfortunately, I am trying to avoid sending my child with a phone so it is never with the watch.

8. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Are you talking about an open WiFi network with what’s called a Captive Portal page? Like what Starbucks, McDonalds, etc, use? If so, then you will need to have an iPhone with you EACH time you connect to it, because the Captive Portal doesn’t retain knowledge of your device after the first login.

Starbucks does have a mechanism in place that retains the MAC address of your device, so when it tries to access the Starbucks network again, at any store, the MAC address identifies your device as a known device and it will connect. But it not’s fully automatic...you still need to initiate a connection to WiFi, but then your stored MAC address will basically ‘authenticate’ you to the Starbucks network.

Unfortunately, I doubt that your child is going to Starbucks alone, so that won’t really help you.

-rb

• Like Like x 1
  9. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    What it comes down to is that the Apple Watch has no mechanism for manually signing into a network. None. On the up side, once (if) you get one of the new cellular models and pair it with your phone account, the need to connect to a wi-fi network becomes almost non-existant.

No, that probably does not help you right now. I’m guessing the watch is a hand-me-down for the child, and buying a new watch would cost more than almost any other method of keeping in touch with them.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Istvanwagon

Istvanwagon New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thanks for the replies. I was doubtful there was a way to do this but wanted to be sure. The point of this is not to give my child a phone, so having a network remember a device would only work if it remembered the watch and did not ask to re-login.

Too bad there is no jailbreak or way for the Apple Watch to accept this. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 2