Considering getting Apple Watch

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by nikos2wheels, Jan 29, 2020.

1. nikos2wheels

nikos2wheels New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi,

I am considering getting an Apple Watch for a project that I am working on. There are some things I wanted to check first before I spent the money on the watch. I would welcome any feedback from this community. The idea is to use the watch in certain situations when not wearing it. For example I found this apple watch car mount

[​IMG]

My understanding is that to see anything on the watch one must either raise the wrist or tap on the watch to wake up the screen. I tried it with my friend's Apple Watch series 3. The watch had no password. When a message was received the watch vibrated but the screen remained off. The only way to see the notification was to either raise the wrist or tap the screen.

I contacted the company that makes the above car mount and they replied that the notifications automatically show up on the watch when it is on the mount. No tapping or raising the wrist is necessary.

Can this be done? Otherwise it would be impossible to use the watch on a mount.

2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

I can’t see how that car mount would work as the Apple Watch has to be in contact with your wrist for it to stay logged in. It wouldn’t be safe to use it without a password. As to only seeing notifications when tapping on the screen or raising the wrist, I don’t see a problem as the screen is off only when you’re not looking at it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. nikos2wheels

nikos2wheels New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    The password issue is easy to fool on a watch mount by using a transparent/translucent material similar to how it is done for people with tattoos on the wrist. However the screen would need to wake up automatically while the watch is on the mount. Is there a way for the screen to wake up without raising the wrist or tapping on the screen?

4. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Other than the Apple Watch 5, I’m not aware of any always on modes or settings available. Even nightstand mode won’t stay on. Notifications will only give haptic or audio alerts. You have to raise your wrist or tap on the watch face to turn on the screen. Even Siri won’t respond without some kind of waking interaction from the user (screen tap, wrist raise, or or hold down the crown).

I have no idea how the people who make the car mount expect you to interact with the watch. You’d be better off getting a used iPhone and mounting it. Bigger display, and you can turn off the screen timeout. Or if you want a bigger (but not huge) display, an iPad Mini.

There are also third party Car Play options out there. Make sure it is updatable, so you can get newer features when they roll out.

• Like Like x 2