Digital Apple Watch band?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by DrumsOfGrohl, May 8, 2015.

1. DrumsOfGrohl

DrumsOfGrohl Moderator Staff Member

Am I the first one to think that being able to customize your Apple Watch band is super important? I mean, I guess Apple knows this, but I'm thinking further.
    Everyone loves personalizing their backgrounds on their mobile devices (my home screen and lock screen on my iPhone are photos I have taken that mean something to me).

I would bet the first designer to make a digital band that has the ability to display any photo or image, will make a boatload.

I know companies like Casetify will let you choose an image and use it to create a band for $50, but I'm talking about a band that can be changed at any moment..

Has this already been invented?

2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

That would be one complex watch band. It would need a flexible display with a flexible screen. You would also need a battery source to power the display. If it was always on it could consume quite a bit of battery power unless it was one of those E-ink displays like on a kindle book reader. If this were solved, there's the question of uploading pictures to the band. Even a mini USB port would be quite large for a watch band. You'd essentially need a computer built into the band.

I'm not sure if anything like this has ever been invented but I'm sure development costs would be quite high.

3. DrumsOfGrohl

DrumsOfGrohl Moderator Staff Member

I'm thinking of having it being plugged into the apple watch (probably via the diagnostic port) and uploaded via an app on the iphone. Yeah the battery thing might be an issue..

Youre right, @scifan57 , it will probably be expensive that a 3rd party dev might not want to invest their energy into, but maybe on the Apple Watch 2, or 3 it could be part of the design.

4. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

The thing is, at the current time, Apple doesn't allow third party watch bands that connect to the Apple Watch battery. This would also eliminate the possibility of an app to control the band. Apple would have to change its policies for such a band to become reality. As you said, maybe for a future incarnation of the Apple Watch.

• Like Like x 1