Doubt about Apple Watch works

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Fitness and Health' started by Baldursgate, May 17, 2020.

1. Baldursgate

Baldursgate New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi everyone,
    I ran an outdoor running session lasting almost 13 minutes, covering 2.32 km away, consuming 143 active calories and 162 total calories. For just over a minute, I shot, bringing my heart to almost 180 beats per minute.

After finishing, I performed a 30-minute martial arts session in which I limited myself to making simple technical movements, 3 minutes with a light punching bag exercise and an average of 163 beats per minute, without even sweating. 229 total calories and 179 active calories.

How is it possible? Why does Apple Watch calculate so many calories for a much less tiring and stressful activity than a run?

I ask again: does Apple Watch calculate the detected parameters of its sensors identically for all activities?
    I ask to know if the sense of signaling to the device that you are running outside the home or inside is only to record it for your "sports history" and not to obtain different measurements.

Thank you all!

2. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    For something like martial arts, I have no idea how the watch decides to do it’s calculations. I doubt Apple has a good read for sensor movement on all the varieties of martial movements, so it’s probably an estimate based almost entirely on time. Whether it counts heart rate, no idea.

I wouldn’t take any calorie measurement from any device to heart. They are estimates, at best. Short of a full medical hookup that measures oxygen consumption I don’t believe there is a truly accurate way to measure calories burned. It’s all educated guesswork, with a great deal of guess for exercises that can’t be measured as mass, distance, and time. After all, that converts to work, which has a straight forward calculation as carbs/energy expended: giving you at least a minimum to work with.

Consider the measurement a relative mesure, one that converts poorly across different exercises.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Baldursgate

Baldursgate New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thanks!
    You were very clear :)

4. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    You’re welcome.