Fantastical is a Great New Calendar App for Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch News' started by Maura, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Maura

Maura Moderator Staff Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Fantastical.JPG

Fantastical has just released its popular iPhone and iPad calendar app for the Apple Watch. The Verge writes that Todoist’s app looks to be better suited to the Apple Watch than Apple’s own built-in calendar app.

For example, Fantastical displays twice as many days of events as the Apple calendar’s maximum of seven days. Fantastical also comes with both an app and a Glance that is very simple to use, displaying either the next event on your calendar or the next item on your to-do list, depending on which is due sooner.

Also, just as with the iPhone and iPad Fantastical apps, it integrates support from Apple’s Reminders with calendar events. You can use Force Touch or dictation to add events and reminders. The Verge says that Fantastical also displays the words parsed before the action is completed, which the Apple apps do not do. Fantastical’s natural language engine then uses the data to automatically pull out event times and locations.

Fantastical for Apple Watch is now included in the iPhone Fantastical app, which is available now for $4.99.

Source: Fantastical for Apple Watch is a better calendar for your wrist The Verge

2. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I personally having been using Fantasticle on my iPhone's and iPad for 12 months or more in my opinion it is the best calendar app available. I am looking forward to adding the app to my Apple watch when it arrives in next 2 weeks.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I also use Fantastical. It's nice that it's on the watch, and I'm certainly going to give it try, but I'm not sure how useful it will be in the long run. For the most part that's not their fault. There is only so much you can do on the Apple Watch right now.

You can't launch it from the watch complication, which is the best way to launch a calendar app (in my opinion). Like the its inability to be the default calendar on the iPhone, this is not Fantastical's fault, but it still makes it slightly less accessible.

The second best launch method is Glances, and I admit I like the Fantastical glance better than the native Calendar glance. There's a bit more information, and it's prettier. You can launch into the full app from there, and again, I rather like view and the inclusion of reminders.

However, it still a poor substitute for access to the Reminders app. Only the reminders with due dates show up in the first view (not that I want it otherwise). It takes another step to get to the other reminders, and it's one long list. But you can check reminders off, so it's certainly more useful than no reminders at all.

Possibly the most useful feature will be the ability to dictate an event. In my experience this works a bit better in Fantastical than it does for Calendar through Siri. But I have not tested this yet, so we'll see.

That's not to say I'm not happy to see Fantastical on the watch. I am. I'm happy they've put forth the effort. And I expect it to get better, especially when they can create a native watch app.

4. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I understand what you are saying. Time will tell. According to Apple stores here the watch is selling better than expected. With apps like this it will only help sales.

I am yet to play with the settings and set up so will pass on my review when it has settled in.