Fast Charger ? ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Michelle Mattie, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Michelle Mattie

Michelle Mattie New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Is the "fast charge" a result of the USB-C 20W brick or a result of the "fast charge" magnetic cable as sold by Amazon? I guess I'm asking if the "fast charger magnetic disc" has any wiring in it that make it fast, or fast happens because it's USB-C and plugs into the larger wattage brick?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks!

2. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Fast charging is mostly about having a bigger charger. 20W is way overkill for the Apple Watch, far beyond what you need to get the fastest possible charge. Not that the watch is all that slow to charge with the charger it comes with. An hour will usually take it to full charge for me.

With devices larger than the Apple Watch the cable starts to make a difference. A USB-A port can't deliver the power a USB-C port can.

That said, I'm not familiar with the various options on Amazon, and I haven't payed much attention to fast charging.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Roger Zimmermann

Roger Zimmermann New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    This is what the Apple Support document HT212769 says:

With fast charge, your Apple Watch Series 7 battery level can go from 0 percent to 80 percent in about 45 minutes.*

Fast charging requires an Apple USB-C Magnetic Fast Charging Cable. This cable has aluminum around the magnetic charger and a USB-C connector.

You also need one of these power adapters:

• Apple 18W, 20W, 29W, 30W, 61W, 87W, or 96W USB-C Power Adapter
    • A comparable third-party USB-C power adapter that supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) of 5W or greater

• Like Like x 2
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Better and more complete information than my own. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2