1. alfettaracer

alfettaracer New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I Finally bought my iWatch! I am an Apple fanatic (user of a Macbook Pro, iPhone 7 and iPad).
    I am very satisfied although I have to learn a lot. I watched a couple of YT tutorials already.
    I choose the iWatch because of the graphics, possibilities and for my cardio workouts.
    Now I want to figure out if I can change the city which is displayed together with the time and the weather.
    On my screen "Amsterdam" is displayed but I live in another big (?) city in Holland. I couldn't find a possibility to change this (although my watch has GPS functionality). Where I can put this question on this forum.

thx a lot!

2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Welcome to Apple Watch Forums, alfettaracer!
    Where on the Apple Watch are you trying to enter the name of your city?

3. alfettaracer

alfettaracer New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    That's the point; I cannot find the option to change the name. I am a newbie and I thought the iWatch is selecting my city automatically.

4. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

The built in weather app on the Apple Watch doesn't have a list of every city. If your city is not on the list, you can't set it, you can however get the local weather for your city based on Location services. The cities are not set directly on the Apple watch but in the Weather app on your iPhone. On the main screen in the Weather app, tap on the square with the horizontal lines at the bottom right of the screen. This will display a list of all the cities you have set. scroll to the bottom of the list and tap the plus sign. Now you can enter the name of a city. If it's in the database it will be added to the list.
    In the Watch app on your iPhone scroll down the page until you get to the Weather app and tap on it. This will display your default city. If you choose Current location, you'll see your local weather even if it's not in the list of cities you added in the Weather app on your iPhone.
    2DFBB8CC-6E00-4A79-A789-B546930E756F.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    You’ll find that most of the settings for the AppleWatch are done either in the Watch app on the iPhone, or the (paired) app on the iPhone. Even the ones that can be adjusted on the watch are generaly easier in the app.

Despite the new OS and capabilites, the AppleWatch still is not a stand alone device.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. alfettaracer

alfettaracer New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Thx a lot, I looked everywhere and watched some YT tutorials but couldn't find it. This makes sense (the weather app) but I wasn't smart enough to figure that out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. alfettaracer

alfettaracer New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Problem solved. My own city (Eindhoven) is on my display now. Apparently you have to go first to your "Weather App" on your iPhone and select permission to use location etc and then you see on your iWatch app on your iPhone the option "present location" (my own translation) and you van select this. This option was not available before.

• Like Like x 3
  8. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

I'm glad the problem is solved. Don't hesitate to come back if you have other questions or problems.