I Watch not receiving e-mail notificationsa

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by Alan Hunter, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Alan Hunter

Alan Hunter New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi, I have an I watch Series 6 which is not receiving notifications of new E-Mails. I receive Text and WhatsApp notifications. I can poll my e-mails from the watch and receive all the new e-mails in my inbox. On my IPhone XR under Notifications, the Mail is set to " Mirror my IPhone".

Has anyone in the group any ideas how to resolve the problem

2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Do the emails actually show up on your Apple Watch?

3. Alan Hunter

Alan Hunter New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi thanks for your reply, I can get e-mail if I tap on E Mail app on the watch, and it draws them down. I can write and reply to e-mails on the watch. However I don't get any notification of a new mail.

I'm getting Notifications of new texts and WhatsApp messages.

4. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

Do you get mail notifications on your iPhone?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alan Hunter

Alan Hunter New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi, no , I have to manually get my messages. If the phone is lockled I dont get notifications. What way should the phone be set up, I know there is pull or fetch

6. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

If you don’t get email notifications on your iPhone and the notifications on your Apple Watch are set to mirror your iphone you won’t get any mail notification on the Apple Watch. You’ll have to go to Settings>Mail on your iPhone and make sure notifications is turned on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alan Hunter

Alan Hunter New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi, Notifications is set to ON on my phone, and the Account i use for email has been set up as follows;

Mail / Accounts / BT Internet / Fetch New Data is set to Push. Once Push is clicked / Push is Enabled.

BT Internet Set to Fetch ( on next screen, Fetch is enabled not manual), Fetch set to automatically.

When my phone is on the Lock screen, I don't get notifications of mail, I do if there is a text or a WhatsApp message. When the screen is unlocked I get a mail notification., but not on my Watch

I hope this makes sense.

8. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Check the Fetch settings below the individual account settings. If it is set to Automatic (the default I think), then it will only check for new mail in the background when your iPhone is charging and wi-fi is available; which is pretty much never when you're using the phone.

As far as I know only iCloud (and maybe Exchange accounts) can do Push notifications for email. I have my non-iCloud email set to Fetch every 15 minutes. I don't get enough email to make that a serious drain on the battery. My iPad is set to Automatic. I don't really care if it notifies me, and it spends a lot of time plugged in anyway.

All accounts will look for and get new email when the Mail app is opened regardless of Manual/Fetch/Push settings in Mail.

Manual: Only get email when you open the Mail app or refresh the email list by swiping down on it.

Fetch: Includes Manual behavior, but also check for email on the schedule you set. Automatically does it on a mysteriously varied schedule that is mostly faster than the 15 minute minimum you can set, but only does so when you are connected to power and wi-fi.

Push: Gets mail whenever the mail server pings the iOS device to let it know there is new email waiting.

*** Quick Tip ***

If you have a lot of email but only a few email address you care to be notified about, you can turn off notifications for your account(s) in Settings > Notifications > Mail and turn on VIP notifications. In the Mail app, add the email addresses you care about to the VIP list.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Roger Zimmermann

Roger Zimmermann New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Perhaps I'm misreading your reply but I don't believe it is necessary to be connected to power and wi-fi for the phone to go out and check for new mail. As you point out this would mean that the phone never goes out to look for new mail when you are out and about with it and that makes no sense at all. My phone goes out and checks for new mail approximately every 15 minutes no matter where I am during the day.

10. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Let me clarify. When Fetch is set to Automatically, the iPhone does not go out and look for new emails in the background (when the Mail app is not open) unless it is on wi-fi and connected to power. It will always download new emails when you open the Mail app, and when you swipe down on the email list to refresh it.

This is (probably) meant to save battery and your cellular plan if you have massive email and don't care if you get notified about it.

It's in the small text below the setting. Apple often explains what a setting does this way, in small text, and only if you have it selected.

IMG_DA719536260B-1.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Roger Zimmermann

Roger Zimmermann New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thank you for the clarification. I don't want to derail the thread but why would one select the Automatically option unless you specifically don't want to receive email? That seems to defeat any ability to get new email unless the phone is charging and on wi-fi. I have 5 email accounts set up on my phone and get dozens of emails daily. With my email set up like this, I can still go for 2 days plus without needing to recharge the phone. This is how I have my Mail settings configured:
    IMG_0449.PNG

12. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Automatically does not stop you from getting emails. It stops you from downloading them in the background (when not plugged in and on wi-fi). When you open the Mail app, the very first thing it does is download all your new emails. This can be very fast, especially since the initial download does not include attachments.

There are only two big giveaways that your mail is not downloading the in background. One, you never get notifications. Two, if you lose internet (cellular and wi-fi) you won't see any new emails when opening the Mail app. The second is rare on an iPhone.

Since you have Fetch set to Every 15 Minutes, the iPhone will check each account for new email and download it approximately every 15 minutes. It will still check and download when you open the Mail app. This insures you always have your newest email when you are looking at the Mail app (unless you have no internet).

If you're Fetch as been set to 15 minutes from the beginning, then your lack of email notifications is something other than what we've been talking about. Not sure what. We'll have to go over your settings in more detail.

As for why Automatically exists? Some people do not care about being notified about email. The deal with it when the get around to it, and don't mind the slight delay waiting for new emails to download. Email is not a source of urgent information. It does not require a timely response. They would rather conserver their battery life and cellular data.

Keep in mind that just because these two things are not an issue for your phone and usage (or mine) that does't mean other's don't care.

Of course, Manual is just a good for this, but I suspect the Automatically setting is there more for iPads than iPhones, since iPads are far more likely to be on a network and plugged in for a good portion of the day.

• Like Like x 2