Is there an app for bladder cancer?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by HankStamper, Apr 23, 2017.

1. HankStamper

HankStamper New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Seriously, this is a disease-specific software question.

I'm an otherwise healthy 54-year-old male, recently diagnosed with muscle-invasive bladder cancer. It was caught early (GET MEDICAL CHECKUPS REGULARLY!) so the big picture is optimistic. But I'm likely to undergo soon what's called radical cystectomy and neobladder reconstruction, meaning the entire bladder is surgically removed and replaced with one rebuilt out of a piece of my intestines. If so, I'll need to replace the lost function of nerve signalling by urinating on a timed schedule, at intervals of no longer than X hours around the clock, with X lengthening to about 4 as the neobladder heals and stretches. (As Morgan Freeman pointed out in Driving Miss Daisy, like everyone else I know when my original-equipment bladder is full, even while sleeping. But without some kind of chronometer I won't know when my neobladder's full. Nightime incontinence is a common side effect.)

It occurred to me that wearing an Apple Watch at all times might be helpful with that, particularly with getting awakened by alarm without waking my wife. I know there are numerous alarm apps that can be set to go at specific times and either sound an alarm or vibrate at those times. Those would be helpful but not ideal. Ideally, the app would function like an hourglass. The maximum urination interval "X" would be held in memory, and could be reset from month to month as appropriate. Each time I urinate, I would tell the watch (or linked iPhone) to reset the alarm to give me another X hours. An app in which that information entry would require very few taps would be best. Ideally, the watch would vary the initial alarm mode (from sound to vibrate) depending on time of day/night, and escalate the alarm if I didn't respond to it. Beyond ideally (I don't expect to find this now but maybe an app developer will read this here) the app would integrate information on environment and body temperature and activity level, and accept inputs on fluid intake, so that it could vary "X" based on a model predicting how much urine would have reached the neobladder.

I currently own an iPhone but not an Apple Watch. If anyone has an app to recommend, I'd like to test it out on the phone and maybe buy a watch soon to get used to wearing and using it. Suggestions?

• Like Like x 1
  2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

I've deleted your duplicate post. I hope one or more of our members can help you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I don't have any apps that would suit, but I suspect medication/pill reminder apps would do what you want. The requirement is almost identical, a customizable periodic remonder. At least a few of these apps should have a watch component, but seriously, I'd place the phone on the nightstand beside you instead. It would probably be more reliable. At least untill you are sure the watch app works.

Besides, a bit of reduncancy is probably a good idea, until you get some reliable habits and tools in place.

• Like Like x 2
  4. HankStamper

HankStamper New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thanks, but a PERIODIC reminder isn't exactly what I'm seeking. I'm looking for a reminder "X hours from last interaction." Say I'm healed to the point where the maximum interval X is 4 hours. I go to sleep at midnight. I want the app ticking away to wake me at 4 a.m. But maybe I'll wake on my own at 3, pee, and be ready to go back to sleep at 3:05 (because that happens even without an alarm). I want to be able, even while drowsy and without much fuss, to reset the app so it's now reminding me to wake at 7:05 (and not thinking that 8:00 is still a time for an alarm).

An app that kept records of such resets that could be exported in summary form to doctors and nurses would be an added bonus.

I know this can be approximated with more effort by just setting an alarm manually for 4 hours ahead. And I already have an iPhone-bluetoothed "iLuv" under-pillow vibration device to effect that alarm. But since this will (I hope, as it's part of the best-case scenario) be a nightly interaction for the rest of my nights, I'm hoping to improve it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Here's a couple of ideas for workarounds until you find what you really need.

It won't record for you, but the Timer app on the watch is set to go off after a specific number of hours; not at a sepecific time. If you get up before it goes off, you cant just pause, then reset it for another four hours. That would be quicker and easier than constantly adjusting an alarm.

You can do the same thing using the timer feature of the iPhone's Clock app. Given how important this is, I would do both, so you have a backup.

Logging could be accomplished by a separate app. I don't have a this kind of app, but there has to be something for the watch that will quickly record a time. Perhaps Day One Journal, or one of the other journalling apps that have watch app companions will work. Experimenting (or contacting the developer) could be in order.

I do have the Workflow app which could be used to create a text file with date/time and event. It takes some setup, and I've never tried using the watch app, but it 'should' work. If you want to try that I'd by happy to build a workflow. I probably will anyway, because I have a hard time leaving an idea alone without testing it.

IMG_3262.PNG

IMG_3261.PNG

• Like Like x 2
  6. meliahog

meliahog New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I believe the best app to try is the Medisafe pill reminder. Based on what I have read , it will work for you. I use it for my meds and it does talk to the apple watch (optional). The scheduler setup is very flexible. you can add any med, even OTC pills, then set up the schedule as needed. Check it out on the app store: Midisafe.
    Good luck in you recocery.
    Mikey