iwatch series 1, 2 or 3 ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by minopica, Nov 10, 2017.

1. minopica

minopica New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi all,

I have an iphone 7plus and now I am going to buy an iwatch (42mm).
    I don't know if the right choice is the series 3 or series 2.
    One of the feature I am looking at is the possibility to use the iwatch as a navigator while driving my scooter (moto). Do you know if with iWacth2 model is it possible to use the navigator app on the iwatch even without having the iphone in the pocket ? is this possible on iWatch3 ?

I don't care about water proof feature.

Regarding the performance (responsiveness using the app on the iwatch ) is there a relevant difference between iWatch series 1, series 2 and series3 ?

Let's assume that in the future I will stop using iPhone, is it possible to use iWatch series 2 or series 3 without having an iPhone ? (I could use the iPhone of my friend or my wife just for the first setup).

2. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Full phoneless navigation requires a series 3 watch with cellular.

Most map apps require internet access to download the maps and plan routes. Some apps will let you start a route with internet access, then continue without. I”m not sure if that is possible with the Apple Watch.

I have not tested Maps without my iPhone nearby, so I’m not sure how well it will work. Keep in mind that the watch’s cellular connection is going to be less robust than the iPhone’s, and it will burn through battery much faster while it is using it’s LTE connection.

The Series 2 watch is much faster than the Series 1. The Series 3 is noticiable faster (so I’m told) than the Series 2. I’ve only had the Series 1 and 3.

While the Series 3 has decreased its depence on having the iPhone nearby, setup, configuration, updates, and many other features still require an iPhone. Also, the watches battery drain increases significantly when it is using LTE. That is why it’s designed to use cellular as a lasty resort, only when your iPhone or a known wi-fi network can’t be found.

If you use your friend’s iPhone for setup, then the watch would be paired with your friends iPhone. That means your friend would be controlling all the data, setup, and features of your watch. You can’t set the watch up without pairing it with an iPhone.

Short answer; no, the watch is not useful without an iPhone. Or the use is so limited that you’d be better off getting some other product.

• Like Like x 2