Latest update Killed my Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch OS' started by Larry Bolnick, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Larry Bolnick

Larry Bolnick New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Has anyone woken up to a dead Apple watch the morning after an update. My watch was working flawless and battery always lasted over 30 hours until last week when it did an update. The next morning, still on the charger it showed the apple logo but was frozen. I brought it to the Apple store in utah and they believed it was the update and sent it in for repair under the quality program since they found reference to it. Days later I got a quote from Apple for $79 to put in a new battery saying they found the problem. Recall the battery had zero degradation. I called and they said there is nothing they can do, I even spoke to a Sr advisor, Tiffany who said it was never mentioned that there was reference to similar issues. Now I have a paper weight that was fine before an update a dead after one. Apple is taking no responsibility for it.

2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Did you choose not to have the battery replaced? Apple quoted you the out of warranty battery replacement cost. How long have you owned your Apple Watch? Despite what anyone may have told you, it was almost certainly not the update that killed your battery.
    What is this quality program you mention? I’ve never heard of it.

BTW, the Apple Watch does not update automatically without any input from the owner.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Larry Bolnick

Larry Bolnick New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I am done with Apple so I did not pay them to repair the watch. You are correct I allowed the update to proceed. The watch had been performing very well and showed no battery degradation even at 2 1/2 years old, I was consistent at over 30 hours. The morning after the upgrade the watch was stuck on the apple logo. Living in the technology world I find it related that a change at night to a well running system and dead in the morning is not a coincidence.
    When the Genius in the Apple Store looked at it he had 3 option to send it in for repair. Warranty, out of support or under a quality program if they believe the issue is from a known problem or recall Here is a snip of the Apple work authorization

Problem Description/Diagnosis
    Issue:
    customer presents device that was updating, after the update it gave the Apple logo, started to get hot so they cooled it down but now it won’t turn on.

Steps to Reproduce:
    visually verified issue - dead device.
    Unpaired watch.

Cosmetic Condition:
    Display appears in good condition with no visible cracks
    Enclosure appears in good condition with no visible damage.
    Rear glass appears in good condition with no visible cracks
    No sign of liquid.

Proposed Resolution:
    Offer to send the device out to our repair center to have further testing and repairs under quality program of no power

4. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

A 2 1/2 year old watch could have a battery that showed no previous signs of battery failure fail with little or no notice. By no degradation do you mean it still had 100% of its original rated capacity?
    It’s likely that your battery failed during the update, causing the problem with the Apple Watch. Lithium batteries can fail or lose capacity with little or no advance warning, especially if they’ve been in service for several years like yours was.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1