My August challenge will endanger my health

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Fitness and Health' started by Old fart, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Old fart

Old fart New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I have met every monthly challenge so far this year, meeting May’s (38500 calories) and June’s (175 exercise minutes per day) has caused me lower my BMI to below normal and my body fat has lowered to the point where I do not have enough fat to fight disease or provide needed cushioning to my body. My doctor has advised me to cut back on my exercise in order to keep my health. My August challenge (40800 calories) exceeds my Doctor’s maximum for me. I like the monthly challenges, however; if they become so great that meeting them shortens my life they become less than useless. How do I get the challenges ‘dialed back? I can only keep a 600 calorie/hour output over the 2 to 2.5 hours a day I workout (30 years ago I could double that).

2. Old fart

Old fart New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I just checked my history, l can only do 480 calories/hour during a workout (30 years ago I could do 960 calories/hour). I do this indoors with a fan and water, I still loose 1-2 kilos of water per workout.

3. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Have you tried lowering your daily move goal to something that your doctor would approve? Once you do that, ignore the recommendations that your Apple Watch sends at the beginning of a new week to raise your move goal every week.
    If you don't meet the over inflated challenge numbers, they will be scaled back.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Old fart

Old fart New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, at the end of June, it worked for July but not August.

• Like Like x 2
  5. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

If you miss the August Challenge, the September Challenge should be more reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    While the challenges can be fun, and, er, challenging, you should never risk your health trying to meet them. Besides the advice SciFan gave, keep in mind that the movement/calorie goal does not require strenuous activity to be met. Milder, longer activities will do just as nicely. Or several short activities. The move ring is about being active, not sweaty and out of breath.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Old fart

Old fart New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    True, I do try to keep as active as possible, and the stand ring keeps me sitting and working too long at any one time. Thank you for the post.