New member, new to AW and I have some questions. :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by James Austin, Feb 24, 2019.

1. James Austin

James Austin New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi all.

Long time (like, really long time) Apple user, but just got my first Apple Watch (AW4 44mm Nike). Absolutely loving it, really, really nice bit of kit, but I have some questions. Hope this is the right place to post them for a newbie?! :)

There seems to be some obvious apps missing, that a Google search sows do, or at least did exist. BBC News and Whatsapp to name two. Have found half decent apps for Twitter and Facebook, really surprised there's not more support from the big companies.

News apps, and sports for that matter. Again, found half decent one for football scores, but news I'm struggling. The screen on the AW4 44mm is a decent size to browse articles, but all the apps I've found want to push you to your phone to read full articles, or only have say 5 news articles.

Should the mail app tell me if I have unread emails, like the messages app does?

Anyway, the watch is great, looking at my phone less which was my aim, and great at tracking movement and so on.

Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I don’t read news or sports on the watch, so I’ll be of limited use. I did not even realise that the Apple’s News app was limited to five articles.

While the BBC news app does not appear to support the Apple Watch, a number of other promonent news sources do, including The New Yourk Times, Washington Post, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, and others. There is also the Flipboard app which can be customised to pull news from multiple sources. I don’t know how well or what limitations these apps may have; since I don’t use them.

Make shure you are searching for aps in the Watch app on the iPhone. It’s a lot easier to find apps that support the watch there than it is in the main App Store.

I don’t see the WhatsApp available on the Apple Watch. There are a number of third party apps that advertise limited WhatsApp compatibily. Again, no idea if they work or how well.

Mail., There are no badges on the watch, nor does the complication show an unread count. What I do is turn off all notifications (on the phone and watch) except the VIP mailbox, then add all important, should read immediately address to the VIP list. I don’t really care how many emails are in my box, or want to be bothered by Mail ouside those important/action of emails anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  3. James Austin

James Austin New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thanks. I'm in the UK (should have put that) so after more UK based news. I have flipboard which isn't bad, but again doesn't have whole articles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Welcome to Apple Watch Forums, James!