1. Moparherb

Moparherb New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hello everyone. As of this date 12/13/2018 I have not purchased an Apple Watch yet. But the purchase is just a few days away. So I’m here to learn all I can. I’m an avid Apple user (iPhone XS max and iPad Pro) so the watch is a natural progression. Hope to learn lots here.

• Like Like x 2
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Welcome to the forum.

3. Moparherb

Moparherb New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thank you “twerppoet”. JA suggest that I get advise from you about the advantages of haveing an Apple Watch. I’m a little tossed about which size to get as I do not have a huge wrist but I have always worn larger analog watches. I’m only getting the GPS variety as I always have my iPhone near. I hope to pick up a few tips and pointers before I actually buy. Is one location more favorable to buying from than another. I bought my newest iPhone from Apple and the transaction was very smooth. But I see tons of retail stores sell these watches. Thanks for the welcome....

4. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    No problem.

Purchase: I dont’ have a preference on places to buy the watch. My first two purchases were directly from Apple. The last one was through Verizon. I normally get AppleCare Plus with my devices, but the last couple times I let the convinience of paying insurance by the month talk me into Verizon’s insurance. Both cover the basics. AppleCare has free Apple Tech Support, Verizon covers things like theft better. Your carrier may be different.

All that said, if I’d had the cash on hand, I’d have probably purchased directly from Apple, and with AppleCare Plus.

Size: Given the cost of the Apple Watch, if you have an Apple Store anywhere near you it is probably worth the trip to try them on. The store will let you try both sizes and a variety of watchbands. I just measured my wrist at about 7.5 inches, and the watch looks large on me. However, it’s fits comfortably and the weight isn’t enough to bother me. Given the slightly larger size of both watches, I could probalby live with the smaller one, but I don’t think I’d want to give up the extra battery life.

Not that I’ve been even close to running out of battery during the day. At least not once I got over the urge to play with settings and faces all day. :) Normal usage rarely runs the battrey below one half in a typical day. Usually much less. I could wear it all night if I wanted to, and when I was trying out a sleep tracking app, did so, only taking it off for an hour or so to recharge in the morning.

GPS Only vs Celluar: You are right. If you always have your iPhone with you, you probably don’t need cellular. I know I don’t ‘need’ it either. But here are the excuses I used to convince myself to buy it anyway.

• It’s a second phone I can use if my main phone is broken, out of battery, stolen, or otherwise unavailable. It’s not the best possible phone. The range and legenvity of the battery are limited; but it’s better than nothing in an emergency, or just to let the important people know that your phone service is now iffy.
    • If, in some difficult to imagine scenario, I left my watch somewhere; I could use the Find my iPhone app to locate it.
    • I have occationallly walked out of the house without the phone. Before the LTE watch I almost always turned around as soon as I realized my mistake. Now, if the trip isn’t overly long, I just shrug and keep going.
    • The future. While I could easily live without LTE on the watch now, who knows what app’s or services it could enable later?
    Advantages: Well, all I can realy do is point out the kinds of things I’ve come to rely on, or just enjoy, on my Apple Watch.
    • Messages - Being able to quickly see an incoming message, decide if it needs to be delt with, and sending short responces if needed. This is so much quicker and less disruptive than pulling out my iPhone everytime if dings or vibrates; which it doesn’t do when I’m wearing the watch.
    • Mail - I’ve set it up so only email addresses in my VIP list send notifications. Despite this, most email notificaitons don’t require immediate action. It is nice to see these notitications on the watch, make a quick decision on whether it’s urgent, and get on with business if it isn’t.
    • Faces - If all I wanted was the time, there wouldn’t be any reason to get a smart watch. With the Apple Watch (and other smart watches) you can chose to display other information. More importantly (to me) you can create multiple faces with different information and quickly switch between them. The face I use most of the time shows my activy progress, upcomming calendar events, and some weather info. If I’m more concerned with weather, I have another face that makes that the main focus. If I’m worried about my health, I have a face for that. For a ridiculous amount of time awareness I have a face that shows upcoming alarms, sunrise/sunset/ the timer, and UTC. If I’m completely in the air about what I might want to be looking at, I sometimes use the Siri face. All of these are just a swipe away.
    • Activity - I don’t obsess about my activity rings, but they do let me know if I’m being a bit too sedentary. I often ignore the stand up reminder, but it does make me stop for a moment and decide whether I should take a quick break from whatever I’m doing that involves so much sitting.
    • Calendar - We all have events we need to be reminded of. I’d miss a lot of important meetings or activities if I didn’t have calendar reminders to break me out of whatever task has me captured at the moment. The watch is quicker. It’s also less disruptive if you are in public; though you do risk seeming impatient if you keep glancing at your watch all the time. Not everyone knows that watches can be about more than ‘what time is it?’ these days.
    • ApplePay - Love it. It’s better with the watch.
    • Alarm - It’s the best bedside alarm I’ve ever owned. A small bump to the bedside table turns the display on for a few seconds. It’s the easiest way ever of checking the time in the middle of the night without having some eerie red/blue/green/etc LED glarring at you all night. Also, it’s one of the few alarm sounds I’ve encountered that doesn’t tempt me to through the sound maker threw the window (open or closed) when goes off. I don’t know why that is. Even music alarms tend to anoy me.
    • Siri on my Wrist: Not always reliable, but better every year, Siri lets me do several nice things: add items to my shopping list in Reminders, check the time while driving without looking away from the road, set a timer, add a date-time stamped entry to a text file (uses Shorcuts app), flip a coin or roll dice(mostly for fun), more.
    Well, that should be enough. These are the things I do the most. What I can remember at the moment anyway.

• Like Like x 4
  5. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I said quite a bit about Faces. Here are some of my most used ones, most of the ones I mentioned. As you can see I lean heavily towards the data dense modular faces.

9EA13BC4-8DB6-4FCB-8537-AAD5A10BAAEE.png

• Like Like x 2
  6. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

W#elcome to Apple Watch Forums, Moparherb!

7. J. A.

J. A. Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Welcome, nice to see you here as well, Moparherb!

8. Moparherb

Moparherb New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thank everyone for the “Welcomes”. Twerppoet, thanks you ever so much for that complete and informative run down on the Apple Watch. I can now see many more ways an old retired guy can benefit from this device. Thank you for tanking your time to help me understand the benefits better. This will be something new from me to me.......

• Like Like x 2
  9. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    You are welocome.

10. Moparherb

Moparherb New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thanks to JA and twerppoet today I finally ordered my Apple Watch series 4 44 mm GPS only. I went to Verizon and naturally all they sell is the GPS+Cellular models. But it gave me the opportunity to compare the sizes and the watch band types. I also purchased Apple Car +. I’m excited and it’s due to my home on December 28th. Thank you to everyone who helped me with this decision.

• Like Like x 3
  11. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    You are welcome. Let us know when it arrives.

• Like Like x 2
  12. J. A.

J. A. Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    My pleasure. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. :)

13. Moparherb

Moparherb New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    image.jpg My new watch arrived today...was originally scheduled for the 28th and arrived today. This device is amazing. It paired up with my iPhone XS Max almost before I was ready. I’m still customizing the faces and a lot of it I’m not sure of but I love it. The size and band are just a perfect fit.

• Like Like x 3
  14. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Congratulations on your new Apple Watch! You’ll think of new uses as time goes on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Nice.