Series 3 vs 5 vs 6

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by Tom Kowalski, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Tom Kowalski

Tom Kowalski New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I have a week left to return my series 3 non cellular watch 42 mm. Just wondering if I should, then buy the 5 or wait for the series 6. Non cellular. Or just keep the 3 for now.

2. gary16XC90

gary16XC90 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    The 3 should have been a bargain if you recently bought it.

I have a 3 Cellular which was quite adequate. I will keep the 3 for as long as it is updated.

Even so, I expect to upgrade to a 6 or 7 cellular. No real hurry though. But either will be at a premium price. Why upgrade? Because it should have many more health related features and lots more.

• Like Like x 2
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Can’t say whether you should buy a new watch or not, but here’s my experience and take on things if they are any help.

Nothing wrong with the Series 3. I loved mine, and if I was still using it I’d probably still be happy. The only reason I upgraded to the 4 was for the EKG. Not because I thought I needed it, but because I thought it was super cool, and I happened to have a little extra room in the budget. That’s the way I am with my tech toys.

Turned out to be a good buy. It is possible I’d have gone to the emergency room anyway when I was feeling a bit odd and my heart rate up one day, but the EKG gave me no room to lie to myself. The normal heart rate sensor couldn’t measure my pulse rate. The EKG pegged it at 197, just from walking to the car. It stayed that way for over five minutes, and all the way to the hospital. Now I have some meds, a cardiologist and will probably live longer. By the way, the EKG won’t detect Afib if your heart rate is over 120 bpm. Don’t let that stop you. If you’re heart rate is super fast without explanation, get checked out.

The cellular connection turned out to be a bigger deal than I thought, and for the simplest reason. The ability to make phone calls or send messages meant that on the rare occasion I forgot my phone, I didn’t have to turn around and go home for it. Not for short trips or tasks anyway. It’s also to have the security of a second way to call for help if your phone should meet with a mishap. The other benefits are nice, but since I rarely go anywhere without my iPhone (on purpose), not worth getting a new watch.

I admit to being tempted by the Series 5, but only for the always on display. However it is not enough to make my buy a new watch yet. I’d only planned on buying a new Apple Watch every two years, at most. I’m back on that schedule for now.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tom Kowalski

Tom Kowalski New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thanks for the feedback.