Stand alone app for running that gives verbal audio cues

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Fitness and Health' started by SCDC, Nov 25, 2019.

1. SCDC

SCDC New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi there,

I come from a Garmin Fenix and loved hearing my heart rate and pace called out to me while running. I sorely miss it. I tried ismoothrum, but it was horrible and didn't track my pace correct at all. Are there any other stand alone apps for the AW that has options for audio cues? I do not take my phone and I play music.

Thank you

2. scottjohn5150

scottjohn5150 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Nike+ Run is a decent app that gives audio cues, but if you don’t like ismooth run, you might not like the Nike app either. I wore a Garmin Fenix for years then switched to the Apple Watch, but found for me, the Apple Watch doesn’t compete at all with the Garmin watch for running. Especially the Fenix and Forerunner line. You just get many more running statistics with with the Garmin Watch and that’s why I switched back to the Garmin Fenix 6. I still have the Apple Watch, but don’t use it for running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. SCDC

SCDC New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi Scott,

I gave up on the Fenix 6x Pro. Went through 4 with the dreaded faulty blue displays (when the backlight is on, blacks should remain black, mine had a blue tint). It seemed hit or miss according to forum members, some got great ones, others got blue ones. Also, the firmware issues are very hard to take.

I finally found an awesome running app that pretty much exceeds anything from Garmin. Workoutdoor. Has the most impressive screens, mapping, audio cues that are customizable beyond belief. I own 2 AW4 Stainless steel with cellular, so I'm never without a watch, just swap on charger.

Thank you for taking the time to answer, I deeply appreciate it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. scottjohn5150

scottjohn5150 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I actually have the Workoutdoor app on my Apple Watch as well and used it for about 2 months when I was really trying to like running with the Apple Watch, and I’ve had every single generation of Apple Watch except the new one, Gen 5. I just don’t think it offers enough of an upgrade over the 4th Gen. Anyway, I wish I could remember what it was that I didn’t like about the Workoutdoor app, but I did eventually go back to Garmin. I’ve just been running with Garmin for years and I really like the Connect app the best. I have heard about the blue displays, but mine is great. Never had any issues whatsoever. Knock on wood.
    I might need to revisit the Workoutdoor app now that you’ve mentioned it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. fraserbrydson

fraserbrydson New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Strava does audio cues and works standalone.

• Like Like x 1