Streaming music to the Apple Watch (Series 6) speaker

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by ihf, Oct 27, 2020.

1. ihf

ihf New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Is there a way to stream music to the Apple Watch speaker (yes, I know it is low fidelity, but it can be useful on occasion). Pandora and Spotify (with the beta feature) will stream to a connected bluetooth device but (unless I am missing something) not the watch speaker. I did find that if you identify a song using Shazam, it will play a portion of the song thru the watch speaker so it can be done but only for a snippet and you must use the song to find the song.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Not that I know of.

You can play music from your watch with wireless earbuds, though it will it control the iPhone by default.

Listen to music, podcasts, and audiobooks on your Apple Watch

Besides Apple’s services I believe Pandora has the ability to stream to the watch. Last I checked Spotify did not. Or maybe it was the other way around.

Purely my own speculation, but I believe there are two reasons Apple doesn’t offer a way to listen to music on the watch speaker. One, it would probably be a huge drain on the watch’s battery. Two, it’s a poor way to listen to music. Apple feels strongly about both these things, and has a tendency to enforce a good experience (by Apple’s standards) on their products. It’s simultaneously one of the worst and best things about Apple.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ihf

ihf New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Yes, I know that Pandora and Spotify will stream to the watch (Spotify is beta). It is interesting that they permit Shazam to play the music through the Apple Watch speaker but apparently no one else can (or has tried). Granted that this would not be a way to listen to music for long periods, but playing 1 or 2 songs could be nice at times.

4. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

I’ve noticed that if someone’s sends you a video through iMessage the sound will play through the Apple Watch speaker when accessing it through the message app on the watch. I assume it would also work with an audio file.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ihf

ihf New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I found the Play Sound action which will play a sound file passed to it and if the Shortcut is started from the watch, it plays through the Watch speaker. Not exactly streaming but useful to know.

• Like Like x 2