Trust this computer?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by jon229, Jun 5, 2018.

1. jon229

jon229 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    So here I sit in front of an iMac that I unlocked with my S2 watch. I'm poking around looking at log files when suddenly my watch notifies me 'trust this computer?'. Why isn't this same notification mirrored on my iPhone or for that matter, on the iMac?

Just which of the 3 computers in my vicinity (that I am aware of) is causing this notification? And why? I'm just suspicious enough to wonder if it is malicious. After all, the only computer I'm interacting with is the very same computer that my watch unlocked perhaps 15 minutes earlier.

Most of the stuff I see on the web does not specifically address the watch but other iOS devices. There is one similar complaint on Reddit but no answers....

Any ideas?

2. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Unlocking the computer is handled by secure hardware, completely seperate from other features and data on the watch.

Trust the computer is about trusting the computer with the data on the watch; usually icloud, itunes, or backup related. Not sure which on the watch.

1, the computer trusts the watch to unlock it.
    2. the watch trusts the computer with it’s data

I suppose the two could be linked, but since not everyone unlocks their computer with their watch, it could get tricky.

And I have had my phone and iPad occationally ask me if I want to trust a computer; usually when connecting with iTunes or transfering other data.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jon229

jon229 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    OK. But the notification does not specify which computer it is "talking to". I can only presume the watch was talking to iMac, but I have no reason to think it was other than the fact that it happened while I was reading a log file on the iMac. I was not specifically doing anything with the watch. I suppose Apple may do all kinds of stuff in the background that I am unaware of. And why did this happen out of the blue without any obvious reason? I don't use iTunes, my iPhone & iPad backups are to iCloud over wifi. I presume the watch is backed up to iPhone, I've never given it a thought before and will look for info on watch backups. This did happen once before, about a month ago.

4. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Well, no idea why the watch needed to trust the computer. As I said, I’ve never done this. Just pointing out that the unlock and trust things are different services/issues. At least I’m pretty sure they are. The rest is speculation.

5. jon229

jon229 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I understand what you are saying. But tiz a mystery. Maybe I'll call Apple and see what they say.

6. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    If you do, please share.