VO2 max

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Fitness and Health' started by Caroline Jardine, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Caroline Jardine

Caroline Jardine New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I exercise periodically but have an ok base level of fitness. I track my VO2 every couple of weeks and get variations, as I’d expect. However, the last three measurements have been exactly the same at 34.56 (55 year old female). Does this seem odd? Whilst I guess identical measurements to two decimal places are possible, I’d have thought it unlikely - but I don’t really know enough about this to know if there’s some sort of problem with my watch (series 5). Can anyone offer an explanation?

Thanks.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Are you using the VO2 Max estimate in the Activity App?

This is an estimate/guess based on other factors, and an average over a fairly long period of time. It would not be strange if the reading settled down to a fairly constant reading after some time. VO2 Max isn’t something that should have radical changes unless you are ill. Otherwise it’s built up or lost over a period of months along with your general health and fitness.

I can’t even see mine. It says I have to continue using the feature for at least three months to get a reading. Until recently I’ve been lax, and only have a couple of weeks of regular exercise for the app to work with.

Keep in mind that the reading is only a guesstimate. It’s probably a pretty good guess for most people, but it’s not a true measurement of VO2 Max. You need to do a VO2 Max test to get that, which involves exercising in a controlled environment while having your actual oxygen consumption measured.

If you are worried about your VO2 Max, you should talk to your doctor and get the test done.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Caroline Jardine

Caroline Jardine New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thanks for the reply. What you say makes sense re it just being an estimate....... I’m not worried about it as such (this is apparently very high for my age and sex) but just thinking it was odd to get three in a row that were exactly the same.

I completely get what you say about it telling you to do a certain amount before it gives you a reading. I’ve also had periods when it doesn’t give me them.

I’ll see what the next reading is and, if it’s exactly the same again, I’ll maybe pop into the Apple store.

Thanks.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    No problem. Please let us know what happens. I’m curious to see how this and the other Trend stats perform.