watch 4.1 and apple music question prior to purchase

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by paulsburley, Dec 2, 2017.

1. paulsburley

paulsburley New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi I am considering purchasing a watch 3 but dont want an extra carrier cost.

My question is, with the GPS only version and the new 4.1 release can I access all my playlists, albums and artists set up in my apple music subscription on the watch IF close to the phone. Ie can it use my Iphone 4g signal to access the cloud and play. I realise I can do this from the phone but when out running its easier to use the phone to change play list of song. Also (finally) can I use Siri to do this if I buy air pods too. I guess in summary can the watch do everything the GPS+Cell version can do if you have phone with you. Appreciate any help I cant find answers on the internet.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Short answer; yes. So long as your watch is close enough to connect to the iPhone, all the watch’s features will work.

Even on the cellular version, the carrier connection is only used if neither the phone nor a known wi-fi network are available. The cellular service adds some services that you would lose when threre is no other connection available. It takes nothing away.

• Like Like x 2
  3. paulsburley

paulsburley New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    thanks for this answer and again with non cellular version is full siri access to any apple music song available via airpods?

4. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    There is no diference in how Siri works between the two versions. Don’t expect pure magic. Siri has it’s quirks.

Hold in mind that you won’t actually be using Apple Music from the watch. It will be on the phone, your music access will be through the phone, and the airpods will be connected to the phone; though you will be able to control it through the watch. In the case of the Apple Watch, direct access to Apple Music only applies to the celluar version.

It is possible to listen to music on the watch and airpods without the phone, but without cellular your are limited to music that is stored on the watch. You set up what songs/playlist are stored on the watch via the iPhone’s Watch app.

• Like Like x 2