watchOS 7

Discussion in 'Apple Watch OS' started by scifan57, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Roger Zimmermann

Roger Zimmermann New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Apple has released a support document regarding several issues related to the recent iOS and watchOS updates. One of the issues reported is
    • Increased battery drain on your iPhone or Apple Watch.
    Unfortunately the fix is a "scorched earth" fix that involves unpairing your watch and iPhone and then wiping your iPhone and restoring it from a backup.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. stevejeffery

stevejeffery Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Fortunately I wasn’t experiencing battery problems with my phone, so decided to just unpair my watch and restore it from the backup.

I started the day at 9.00am with 100% just off the charger, and at 9.00pm, exactly 12 hours later my watch is sitting at 81%.
    I would certainly class this as a result, and on a par with what I was getting on my Series 4 before OS7.

If anyone is experiencing watch battery problems, then I highly recommend unpairing and restoring. I did mine without wiping the phone as I thought that was asking for trouble and it worked.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Roger Zimmermann

Roger Zimmermann New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    That actually sounds quite good to me. I wasn't having any issues with the battery in my iPhone either.

I have been using a Complication called Battery Grapher to keep tabs on my watch's battery. Prior to installing watchOS 7, I was using an average of about 3.1% of my battery per hour for an average time before charging of 30 to 31 hours for my Series 5 40mm watch. After installing OS7, the per hour usage jumped up to about 6%. I waited about a week to do anything because people kept saying these OS upgrades sometimes take a while to stabilize. After a week with no improvement and seeing my hourly usage sporatically jump up to 8% for no reason I could determine, I unpaired and reconnected my watch. This seemed to help a bit and my hourly usage went down to about 5% with occasional jumps to 6%. When OS7.0.1 was released, I installed it and now my hourly power consumption is down to under 4% with an average time until charging of 24 to 26 hours. Not quite as good as it was with OS6 but acceptable. I have a Series 6 40mm watch on order so I will see what happens when that arrives.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jermain78

jermain78 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    It’s like Apple can’t handle it’s own software anymore.
    Any update nowadays,brings more bugs than features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

A new feature of the watchOS 7.4 beta released yesterday is the ability to unlock your iPhone with your Apple Watch. Your iPhone has to be on the iOS 14.5 beta, also released yesterday for this to work. You set it up in Face ID and Passcode in settings on your iPhone. It works in a similar way to unlocking your Mac with the Apple Watch. This can be quite a timesaver if you’re wearing a face mask.
    272748F0-0F08-4ACF-AE6B-A798E6C33F7A.png
    6C3D0D66-A499-4CEE-82DB-E5169BA2E120.png

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. rudi.geyser

rudi.geyser New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Is the beta versions only for developers? Must one rather wait for official updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. stevejeffery

stevejeffery Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    You can register for the Public Beta version rather than the Developer version. It usually follows the Developer version by a few days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. J. A.

J. A. Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    In order to install the Public Beta version on your Apple Watch, you‘ll first have to enroll the iPhone that‘s paired to it in iOS 14 Public Beta.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1