Who’s got their new Apple Watch 6?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by twerppoet, Oct 15, 2020.

1. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Mine just arrived, and I just finished setting it up, mostly.

I’m having issues adding it to my Verizon cellular account. The Verizon app refuses to accept my address as valid for cellular (911) use. Guess I’ll have to visit their store today.

Currently letting it digest it’s first update.

And Done!

That was way faster than a normal update.

• Like Like x 3
  2. stevejeffery

stevejeffery Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I’ve had my Series 6 for just over 2 weeks now and I do like it, it’s certainly a step up from my Series 4 which I traded in.
    Initially I found it was using a lot more battery than I hoped, and I did unpair it and restore.
    Seemed to make it a lot better, and now that Apple have just released OS7.0.2, I’m monitoring to see if it improves still further.

• Like Like x 3
  3. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Glad I didn’t have to go through that.

Went to Verizon, and they did what they could. They told me I would have to reset the watch again, before it worked, but I gave it a quick test and it’s working as it should. Made a test call.

For some reason, my most recent backup wasn’t shown when restoring the watch the first time, so I ended up re-creating all my faces. Actually, it was kind of fun. I found a few new options I didn’t know about.

• Like Like x 2
  4. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Brag photo. Excuse the hairy arm.

4E9CC7D3-9973-4BCD-95C9-FB8D96082573.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  5. stevejeffery

stevejeffery Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Nice watch face twerppoet. Funny you should mention about restoring problems as when I received my new Series 6, I immediately unpaired my old Series 4 and backed up my phone to iCloud. However when I paired the new watch, the only backup was from around 6 months age so I too ended up adding it as a new watch.
    However when I did the restore because of the battery usage, the new backup showed ok, so I’ve no idea where the original one went.

• Like Like x 1
  6. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Thanks. I occationally get the urge to be creative, in a small way. I have a gallery of faces on the iPad Forum (because the Apple Watch Forum doesn’t have galleries). Some of them are ok, like the one I showed. Other’s got old almost as fast as I created them. :)

The backup restore thing is odd. Fortunately it doesn’t take much time to tweak an Apple Watch into submission.

• Like Like x 2
  7. stevejeffery

stevejeffery Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Twerppoet, I’d be very interested to know how you create your watch faces, and is it difficult to do?
    Meanwhile this is my usual go-to watch face........

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I like the modular face. It used to be my main one, well, one of several. As of the Series 4, I’ve prefered the compact modular. Mosly because I like a seconds display, but don’t want to give up digital time.

D4F3C93A-F090-4E36-AFFF-D66F7F9983A4.jpg

To make my own photo faces, I took a screenshot of my watch into a drawing app that supports layers. I used one layer to draw boxes and guidelines showing where the complications are, and other proportiony things. Then I deleted the original layer and saved the lines as a template. All my templates, so far, are based on the complicatonis being upper right.

After that it’s just a matter of duplicating the template and using the drawing program however I feel. Sometimes I import old drawing, sometimes I just doodle, and sometimes I import and modify pictures. Of course, I do all the drawing on my iPad and use my Apple Pencil. Well, the older ones predate the pencil. I suppose you could use the iPhone, but I’m not masochistic enought to do that.

When done, I save the results to a Watch Face album in photos, and sync that album to my Apple Watch using the Watch app.

On the watch, open the Photo’s app, tap on the picture you want, then the little watch icon in the corner of the picture. You’ll get an option to create a watch face. Done. You can set the time and complicatons to upper or lower when you edit the watch.

Here’s my collection. If you make any, please share.

Album: Watch Faces

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. stevejeffery

stevejeffery Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Just a quick update on my previous post above. I’ve replaced my Battery complication with an app called ‘Charge’ which helpfully gives the battery percentage for my watch and my iPhone.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3