Why did you buy your Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Talk' started by Izabella Hannah, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Izabella Hannah

Izabella Hannah New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I'm interested to see what was everyones main reason for buying their Apple Watch.

• Like Like x 1
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Because I wanted one.

While almost all the features were interesting, and sounded useful, the fact is that none of them are necessary. Even the exersise tracking that I really wanted can be had on far cheaper devices. So it all came down to pure gadget desire.

That said, the Apple Watch has met almost all my expectations, and promises to do better on the few it missed with watchOS2. The mere "want" has turned into 'don't want to do without" in an amazingly short time.

I'm even willing to put up with that slightly indented pale stripe on my left wrist. Something I was more than willing to see go away when I stopped wearing watches; when all they did was tell time (less reliably than my cellphone).

• Like Like x 3
  3. scottysize

scottysize Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Wow. Not a lot of replies. I'll go next:

Looking at my siggy, it was the only thing Apple made that I didn't have yet.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Data_Daedalus

Data_Daedalus Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I bought my Apple Watch, because I'd waited and saved 3 whole years for it, exclusively. I'll explain in detail;

I bought myself a Samsung Gear S smart watch for Xmas 2014, as a gift to myself....to use with my Samsung S5 (secondary phone). Xmas 2015, I upgraded my iPhone 5 (primary phone - been using iPhones since 2010) to an iPhone 6s Plus 128GB. And for Xmas 2016, having saved £2 coins in a Darth Vader head piggy-bank for 3 years, finally took the plunge and purchased a Series 2 Apple Watch! The Gear S has a humongous screen size - it's essentially a micro smartphone on your wrist - it even takes a nanoSIM card! Nonetheless, I'm thoroughly impressed with the amazing quality and finish of my new Apple Watch. Having been spoilt by having used a much bigger screen on the Gear S, it initially took some getting used to the 42mm Apple Watch screen, but I've come to appreciate its smaller and much more discreet size. I wanted a smart watch companion to supplement my iPhone 6s Plus. I'm happy I waited till the AW series 2 was available. Of course, I find it indispensable now. It was an Apple device I just had to have - and I'm over the moon with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  5. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Welcome to Apple Watch Forums, @Data_Daedalus!
    We're here to help if you have any problems or questions.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Data_Daedalus

Data_Daedalus Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Thank you, scifan57. Appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  7. swswartz

swswartz New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Hi,
    Is there any wow factors about the series 2?

8. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

It's biggest new feature is built in GPS. You can get accurate tracking on a run or walk without needing to have your iPhone with you.

• Like Like x 2
  9. John Nilcru

John Nilcru New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Didn't buy - it was a gift. I had no interest in the smartwatches back then. Things are different now. I'm all up to date with all smartwatch new releases! :D

However, right now I'm looking for a proper watch band for it - preferably leather. So far, lucrin ones have caught my eye. I'm still on the lookout for other alternatives though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. scifan57

Top Poster Of Month

Welcome to Apple Watch Forums, John!

Apple and third parties have some nice leather bands in all price ranges. Which one you get depends on how much you like the style and price. Apple bands are always high quality but are generally more expensive than most third party offerings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. droidprincess

droidprincess New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I bought my Apple Watch for notifications while I'm working and can't have my phone out.... also for the fitness tracking.
    I got a used 1st gen sport from Swappa.com to try things out. I like it a lot and will be upgrading to the newest later!

• Like Like x 5
  12. jon229

jon229 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I have not worn a watch in decades. I bought it to monitor my pulse at the gym and because I wanted to shower with it. The other devices I looked at did not have the same quality of water resistance. After 6 weeks I am starting to like it. If I were in an office setting I may find it more useful. My biggest disappointment is that I cannot use it to listen to podcasts without making all kinds of time consuming effort to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Data_Daedalus

Data_Daedalus Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    My Apple Watch 2 forms an important part of my personal music listening arsenal. I bought my first classic style iPod Video capable device with the click wheel just over 10 years ago.

Today, I now have an iPhone 6s Plus 128GB, and a pair of noise cancelling Bosé QC35 Bluetooth headphones.
    My AW series 2 now performs the function of being able to control the music I listen to on my iPhone (which is STILL an iPod really).

I find it exhilarating that I don't even have to pull out my iPhone anymore. I can control all music functions from my Apple Watch 2 while blissfully listening to my music on my Bose QC35 Bluetooth headset.

Now there's a use for the Apple Watch a large number of people wouldn't even imagine

• Like Like x 3
  14. Diane B

Diane B New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I'll just double down on Twerppoets post. I hadn't worn a watch for years--but wanted to try the Apple watch. Now I would hate to do without it and I'll upgrade to 3 if/when it is able to connect without phone. That's the rumor-hope it happens. I have the original and now put it on when i get out of bed.

Forgot to say I use the Watch to control volume, etc from my Airpods which is very handy. I read most notifictions and IMs on the watch though I may not respond--something I didn't expect to do--and also phone calls in some situations (though it does look like Dick Tracey when I answer LOL). IOW--I have found useful reasons to like it for that I didn't expect when I bought it

• Like Like x 5
  15. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    An update of sorts.

A couple of weeks ago (aprox), Overcast (a podcast app) added the ability to download and listen to episodes on the watch. Due to some watchOS limitations it is not ideal (as the developer himself admits), but it does make phoneless podcast listening available.

Overcast is my favorite podcast app, for reasons that have nothing to do with this feature, so I'm a bit biased.

• Like Like x 3
  16. jon229

jon229 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Do you have to subscribe to podcast or does it pick them up from the iPhone podcast app?
    It's my understanding that this app has ad's so I never checked it out.

17. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Like all podcast apps, you have to download podcasts indivudually, or subscribe. Also like most, you can search for podcasts in the app. Overcast offers suggestions as well.

While I've never used it, I believe it has the ability to import/export podcast subscription lists using OPM(?), or something like that.

Yes, the app has ads. Unlike most ad based apps, they are not general ads from an ad service. Instead the developer sells ads directly, mostly to other podcasts and companies that support podcasts. That means they are mostly relevant to you, the listener, who might be interested in new listening matieral. Think of it as TV advertising other TV shows (instead of wonder drug x).

You can get rid of the ads with a $9.99 yearly subscription; so less than a dollar a month.

The killer features of Overcast is Smart Speed. Unlike most podcasts apps, Overcast does not speed up the audio. Instead it looks for pauses, and removes them. It is a lot nicer than it sounds. After you get used to it, it is hard to go back to listening without it. It also has a decent voice boost mode. Due to watchOS limitations the voice boost doesn't work on the watch.

Hold in mind no one thinks this version of the watch player feature is great. It's what can be done for now, with hopes that future watchOS verson will let it become great.

However, Overcast is a great iPhone podcast app. Definitly in the top three or four in the catagory.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Michael64

Michael64 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I got a Apple Watch. I use it to check time on the work and activites when I works out. :)

• Like Like x 4
  19. mrthompsonr

mrthompsonr New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    I bought mine for activity tracking. The work out app is amazing. I get to monitor heartbeat in real time. I wore mechanical watches for years but I’m also a “tech” kind of guy. I love gadgets. This is the ultimate gadget. And with the movement and activity trackers/ reminders, it’s like having a fitness coach on your wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 4
  20. cowy

cowy New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    thanks for all these comments above that inspired me since i was struggling to buy it or not lol

• Like Like x 1