Apple Watch App 'Breaking News' Will Let Users Send Tips to Break Stories Sooner

Discussion in 'Apple Watch News' started by DrumsOfGrohl, Apr 15, 2015.

1. DrumsOfGrohl

DrumsOfGrohl Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Apple has been working hard to try to convince the public why they should buy the new Apple Watch. One of the big reasons is for apps like the New York Times app, which will send breaking news headlines to your Apple Watch.

A new app, called Breaking News, has unveiled a tip button feature in their app that will allow Apple Watch users to tip the news station with breaking news. What this entails is when a user witnesses what they might deem 'news,' they would hit the 'Tip' button, which sends the user's location to the station. At this point, there is nothing in place to allow the user to add any notes to indicate what the news might be, but that could come later.

The idea is that the news station will be alerted when a cluster of users in the same region tip the news station, thereby being able to monitor the situation sooner.

[​IMG]

Breaking News co-founder Cory Bergman writes, "This is wired right into our content management system, and it’s rather easy for us to run location searches in our tool." He continues, "We’re already thinking about how a cluster of tips could automatically trigger location searches for editors, making it even easier for us to detect news from social media very quickly. ...Our goal is to get faster at detecting news near our users around the world."

Bergman is aware that new users may tap the button just for fun, but eventually will use it meaningfully. Additionally, waiting for other tips in the region to go off may weed out the pranks from the real news.

This is a fine example of using the Apple Watch not just as a fast, simple and convenient way to receive information, but to deliver information similarly. It is the development of this kind of app that I believe will make the Apple Watch a "must buy," rather than an expensive iPhone extension.

Source: The Verge

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
  2. Ian MacGregor

Ian MacGregor Active Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I feel that Apple should have allowed more space to be dedicated to music/iTunes. I think that would have made the Apple Watch more attractIve, some of us care little for the latest news.. especially, politics.

3. DrumsOfGrohl

I'm not so sure, @Ian MacGregor. I think it was a conscious decision, as Apple wants people to still use their iPhones as their music player. If there was more memory dedicated to music on the Apple Watch, what would have to be sacrificed? Functionality? Size? Price?

For the most part, you'll need your iPhone with you while you're using the Apple Watch, what would you need music on there for?

4. Ian MacGregor

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Apple has allocated 2 gigabytes of space on the Apple Watch for music. You can listen to that music when your phone is nowhere in sight. We have to keep in mind that the Apple Watch will be capable of doing a lot even when your phone is nowhere in the area.

5. DrumsOfGrohl

Ya, but I think the 2 gigabyte limitation will force people to continue using the iPhone. The Apple Watch might do some things so great that people will use their iPhones less and less, and I can't think that that is Apple's endgame.

6. Ian MacGregor

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I really don't think the Apple Watch is going to be as dependent on the iPhone as people think.

Consider this scenario:
    A person loses or breaks their iPhone and cannot afford to buy another one in the near future, they spent a bunch on the Apple Watch. Then they realize they have a $400+ device strapped to their wrist that is now useless without their iPhone. Their initial anger will quickly turn to hatred.. aimed directly at Apple - humans have a tendency to refuse to accept blame. The first thing that crosses their mind at that moment might be to never buy another iOS product. I really don't think Apple is dumb enough to take that chance.

I, for one, will not allow my iPhone to be anywhere near my person while I'm working out.

7. DrumsOfGrohl

I don't think the Apple Watch will be useless without the iPhone, but i think it certainly wont be worth the $400 you spent on it if you don't have the iphone. The Apple Watch is an extension of the iPhone, unlike the iPad, which is a completely separate device.

8. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

If a person loses or breaks their iPhone, the Apple Watch will still have limited functionality but it won't be possible to download any new content such as music, photos. Or new apps. Also, any apps on the watch that require interacting with the phone will no longer work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    At this point, every single third party app needs the iPhone. Only the native apps have any independent functions, and not all of them. This is due to change later this year, but even then any app that needs an internet connection, or any connectivity at all, will need your iPhone. At least when you're not on your home network. How much it can do on the home network without the iPhone is unclear, but since it can use your wi-fi to extend it's contact range with the phone, there must be something possible.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Izabella Hannah

Izabella Hannah New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Is it worth news companies spending money in developing apps for the Apple Watch if everyone is using their iPhone as a primary device? Do you think Apple Watches will become independent from the iPhone at some point?

• Like Like x 1
  11. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

The type of app that requires communication with other users has to work through the iPhone as the Apple Watch does not have the independent ability to connect to the Internet or the cellular system. The type of app you're talking about would have the developer write a Watch extension for an iPhone app. This would allow for messages to be sent from the Watch through the iPhone.
    If the Apple Watch ever becomes a completely independent device, it will be a future model, as the current model lacks a cellular radio. The problem in this would be possibly reduced battery life and a larger size case to contain the extra components and maybe a larger battery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1