AW S2 Nike - Treadmill Distance

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Fitness and Health' started by Yodrak, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Yodrak

Yodrak New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    My wife's new Apple Watch Series 2 Nike does not record distance when she's using the Indoor Run exercise on a treadmill. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

2. PapaBaer

PapaBaer New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    If you use the Nike app: Make sure to set the recording mode to indoor on the watch and start the run from the watch. Do not use the phone to start the run.

I used the watch outdoors to calibrate my step width and it is damn accurate on the treadmill if I use my average pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yodrak

Yodrak New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Thanks for your reply. She has for sure been using the indoor mode, what I'm not so sure about is if her stride length carried over from her Series 1 watch when she paired the new one. I would think so, because isn't the information stored in the iPhone, not the watch?

How do we check what the stride length is?

Thanks again.

4. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

When she unpaired her series 1 Apple Watch, a full backup would be stored on the iPhone. When she paired her new series 2 Apple Watch and set it up from the backup of her series 1 Apple Watch, all activity data such as stride length would be transferred. To check your average stride length you'd have to divide the total number of steps in a walk into the distance walked to find the average distance per step.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yodrak

Yodrak New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Many thanks to PapaBear and scifan57 for responding to my questions.

To scifan57, our problem is that the Watch isn't recording any distance, so we can't find the stride length by doing the math you suggest. I was hoping that the Watch, or the iPhone it's paired with, would show that bit of information directly. My thought had been that if stride length was stored as 0, in which case strides x stride length would result in a distance of 0, which is what we were seeing.

To make a short story long, we solved my wife's problem today with a visit to an Apple Store. Only one person on duty owned a Series 2 Nike, and the Watch expert who first tried to help us quickly gave up and sought him out. He spent about 15 minutes exploring the setups and stored data, which clearly showed that info stopped being saved the day my wife switched from her Series 1 to the Series 2 Nike. He next had her walk around the store perimeter, then take a longer walk in the mall, confirming that distance data wasn't being recorded. He also searched a few AppleWatch web site pages on an iPad before deciding to do a soft reset - turning the Watch off and then back on. Problem solved.

• Like Like x 3
  6. PapaBaer

PapaBaer New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    The stride length is watch specific and should not carry over. I was told by a apple person, this parameter needs to be calibrated for every device.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yodrak

Yodrak New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Good to know, thanks. So now that my wife's watch is now recording distance we need to check the calibration so that it is recording accurate distance.

8. PapaBaer

PapaBaer New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Unless you live in Southern States this could be challenging. Ran outside yesterday at about 29deg but sunny. Today we are single digits and going minus soon ...