Fitness Trackers and Polar Watches...and the likes...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Fitness and Health' started by Skimonkey, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Skimonkey

Skimonkey New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Currently I own a Fitbit Zip and Flex which I alternate in use on a regularly basis. It's been a great and affordable device to help track my steps, distance, diet, water intake. The Fitbit app also allows you to "add-in" other activities to your work out which is a benefit to your total workout log. I also have a. Polar Watch which monitors my HB which I used off and on, but not as regular use as my Fitbit.

I am just wondering how many folks will be interested in purchasing the apple watch for their fitness needs? If the price might be too steep for them? I also am interested to see how Fitbit and other fitness/vital trackers will do with Apple watches/competitors?

I don't think I'll stop using my Fitbit/app, since it is tied into my optimal health at work health insurance, but am interested to see what will be next. :)

2. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I see the fitness stuff existing in three tiers.

One: M7 or M8 motion equipped iPhone. As long as you carry your iPhone with you most of the day, preferably in a pocket, then you can track your activity with an app. I really liked the Moves app, before FaceBook purchased them. There are several, non-FaceBook-owned app available for the iPhone 5S and later.

What this wont' do is track special metrics like your heart rate, or times when you don't normally have your iPhone on you, like sleeping.

Two: Fitness trackers. Cheaper than the Watch, these will track your activity around the clock. Some have heart monitors (not so cheap then), but most don't. The range of activities and styles are too extensive to cover in a paragraph or two, but can be anything from just walking to dozens of activities and in almost every wearable configuration you can imagine. Though I haven't hear of any yet, there are probably already a few that will track heart rate. If not, I'm sure there will be, soon.

In general they don't have the same level of integration with the iPhone as the Watch, but when iOS 8 has been out for a while you should expect them to close the gap quickly. That's a big part of what the new Health Kit API and the Health app are about. If you don't like Apple's Watch activity features, you are going to have options.

Three: The Watch itself. Nothing is going to be more integrated than Apple's own fitness solution. While it will probably not be the most feature rich, and certainly not the most flexible; it will be the easiest to set up and probably what the majority of Watch users end up using. If it were just a fitness tracker then it probably would not be able to compete with fitness trackers on both price and features; but we know it's going to be much more than that.

I am/was in the market for a fitness tracker. I was looking at the Moov or the Shine by Misfit. Those just appealed to me. But I decided to wait and see what the new iPhones offered, since I might be willing to settle for a M7 or M8 activity app. Now I'm probably going to wait even longer to see how the Watch works out, with a heavy bias towards buying it.

I'll be using one of the app only solutions in the mean time, after I get the iPhone 6 (or 6 Plus); hopefully on the first day.

3. Skimonkey

Skimonkey New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I agree with you Twerppoet regarding the different levels. I think the cost of the Apple watch will divert consumers to looking at other ways to track health and fitness. I think for me, I will continue to use the fitness tracker and associated app at this point. Cost perspective...it's affordable. Set up ...Easy to program. I've also began using an activity app which I enjoy too called the, "The Walk." It keeps me engaged listening to a story line as I walk and am surprised how accurate it is for an app tracker.

I thought that the Polar Watch would be a great add on for me to use, but I just grew tired of it and it's use.

Looking forward to see what will be in the next several months with Apple Watch and App Development! :)

• Like Like x 2