I don't want to wear a black brick. Want my Apple Watch display ON

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by hitstyle, Jun 25, 2016.

?

How would you use an always on Apple Watch?

1. Check time?

2. Leave an app running?

3. Show images consistent with my style?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hitstyle

hitstyle New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Having the display on all the time could add tremendously to the expressiveness of the watch. Especially if you can display a variety of images consistent with my current style.

2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

If that were possible, your battery would be dead in a couple of hours. Probably the biggest battery drain on the Apple Watch is the screen when it's on. Having the screen on all the time would put a huge demand on the small battery, which is designed to last about 18 hours when the display is checked about 5 times an hour. The second biggest battery drain on the Apple Watch is the heart rate monitor, which is only on continuously when using the workout app.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. scottysize

scottysize Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    They'd have to find a way to not use the full screen resolution. I found that just changing the timeout from 15 to 70 seconds greatly reduces the watches battery life. I'm back on 70, but I turned off the auto wrist look feature and cover my display to turn it off when I'm done.

• Like Like x 1
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Aside from the battery issue, there is another consideration. The watch face is light source.

Durring the day this is no big deal, but at night, in theaters, or during a romantic candle lit dinner; do you realy want your wrist acting as a mini flashlight?

In the theater I switch my watch to a low light and red colored face; so as to minimize the distraction if I happen to flip my wrist the wrong way, or check the time. Whether it bothers me or not I don't want to be a nusance to the other patrons. But that's a special situation, and one I'm reminded to do, more or less, because the theature reminds me to be similarly courteous about my phone.

Until ePaper displays get faster, more attractive, and have higher resolution color, always on probalby isn't the best idea. Of course, it's a watch, has a light sensor, and probably knows where it is most of the time; so smart dimming and/or off modes are also possible.

But as technology stands, we're a ways off from needing to solve this issue.

• Agree Agree x 2