Linking workout to activity app

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Fitness and Health' started by ind001, Jan 16, 2016.

1. ind001

ind001 New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Hi

I went for a workout this morning and did brisk walk for about 45 mins. the workout was captured correctly and it shows calories burnt etc but the exercise part of the activity app doesnt capture anything. and shows i have done only 3 mins of exercise.
    Yesterday when i did the same stretch without putting on the workout app , the activity app did capture it but not today. Can someone please help.

Regards
    Ind

2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

I've done the same workout myself and the calories burned in the workout were correctly recorded in the move ring of the activity app. Have you tried force closing the activity app and seeing if it makes a difference?

• Like Like x 2
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    If you are talking about the green exercise ring, it's kind of stange. There are two ways to fill it.

One is to exercise walk/run long enough with an elevated heart rate so that the watch decides you are exercising, and records it automatically. This can be tricky. It's pretty easy to decide you're exercising, and the watch not catch the critical heart rate, with the accompaning movement. In normal mode your heartrate only checked every 10 minutes.

I've seen this go both ways. When I first got my Apple Watch it seemed to recored exercise way too easy. I got credit for even casual walks. After the first update it was the other way. Even pushing my walking speed it might not catch it as exersise. Now it's back to easy. If I walk for more than ten minutes it generally gives me credit for exercising. Since I gennerally walk three for four mile in the course of a day, I often the full 30 minutes of exercise credit for what I consider almost no effort.

I suspect this is because my resting heartrate is a bit higher than it should be, so the app is prone to decide I'm working harder than I really am. A person with an excellent heart rate might find it difficult to convince the watch they are exercising.

The othe way is to use the Workout app on the watch. Anything you record here will fill the green ring, whether you sweat it or not. It's also more accurate in estimating thinks like calories since your heart rate is being checked constantly while the Workout app is active (which is why the app burns thorugh battery).

This is also the only way to fill in the Workout days in the Activity app on the iPhone.

• Like Like x 2
  4. J. A.

J. A. Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    After reading your post, I decided to give the Workout app a try. I hadn't used it so far, and I was curious.

So here's my résumé from almost a week's usage:
    My workouts lasted for about an hour a day. Not all of the minutes of the workout were added to my exercise ring. So I tried to find out why.
    First of all: we had temperatures below 0° C this week. This also has an influence on the exercise ring. As long as I wasn't warmed up, no exercise showed up.

The first two days, I didn't use gloves. I put my hands into my pockets when walking, as long as they felt cold. They needed a while to warm up. The second half of my walks, when my hands were warm enough to keep them out of my pockets and let them swing freely, that's when my exercise ring filled up slowly.
    As soon as I started wearing my gloves, which helped me warm up earlier and move faster, it was easier filling the exercise ring.

On the other hand, I made an "Indoor Walk" one day, hurrying through my house for 7 minutes, and the whole length of that workout was added to the exercise ring.

So: the length of a workout isn't automatically added to the exercise ring. In my case, the body temperature seems to play an important role. My heart rate isn't fast enough when it's cold to count as exercise, it seems.
    If there are any wrong conclusions, correct me please.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Thanks for the info.

Yes, it's probably the arm motion that makes a difference for the workout app. Most pedometers use the slight bump of taking a step, and maybe the apple watch uses that for steps too. That would be an interesting comparison to make, but apparently it doesn't use it for workouts.

I almost never use the Workout app for walking, so I've never noticed it not adding the entire workout to the exersise ring. The few times I have used it for walking it was plenty warm.

Obviously bicycling doesn't use arm motion to detect if you are actually working out. I've accidentlly forgot to stop bicycle worksouts when I got home and ended up with a couple hours worth of activity and exercise credit. You can go into the Health app and delete false activity data, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the exercise ring or the wourkout stats in the Activity app.

• Like Like x 2