Music on Apple Watch 3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Fitness and Health' started by tj.varone, May 1, 2018.

1. tj.varone

tj.varone New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Is there an ap- available to play music on a series 3. Have found several that will remote control iPhone, but looking to find something that will work standalone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. fraserbrydson

fraserbrydson New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    The in-built music app can work with music from the iPhone, over WiFi or stored locally and can also stream it (LTE version only) using an Apple Music subscription.

• Like Like x 4
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    You need a recent version of watchOS for all features of the Music app to work on the watch. The original version that came out with the watch did not support streaming music over LTE on the watch. At that time you could only stream with the iPhone connected, or when connected to wi-fi. The other option was to sync a play list to the watch.

The non-LTE watch is still limited to the iPhone, wi-fi, or a synced playlist; for obvious reasons.

The watch will not stream using LTE if the iPhone or wi-fi is available. LTE on the watch is the connection of last resort.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tj.varone

tj.varone New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch
    Watch has watch 4.3. On it and iOS 11.3.1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Do you have an Apple Music subscription, or iCloud Music Library turned on?

I’m pretty sure the Music and Radio apps on the watch pull from these services. The iCloud Music Library lets all your devices (including the watch) keep it’s iTunes purchased music (and music added to iTunes on the computer) synced and available for streaming. The Apple Music subscription lets you stream any song available in iTunes, and some radio stations.

To be honest, I’m not 100% sure how it works. I have forced my watch to play music over it’s LTE connection; but since I’m both an Apple Music subscriber and have iCloud Music Library enabled I’m not sure what limits are imposed by not having one or the other.

Maybe this will help: Listen to music on your Apple Watch

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. twerppoet

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    I’m not aware of any third part apps that will play music on the AppleWatch without the iPhone connected, though the only one I’ve actually tested is TuneInRadio.

• Like Like x 2