Working out with out iphone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Fitness and Health' started by cesarpalm, Aug 17, 2016.

1. cesarpalm

cesarpalm New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Hello there,

I need some help about running with Iwatch with out my IPhone.
    I can hear from iwatch my songs normally in my headphone paired device , but I can not hear my running voice progress feedback as distance, time, hear rate and pace. It's very important for me listen it instead of look it.
    With my IPhone connect it works normally but the voice feedback progress comes from iPhone.
    I really want to run with my iwatch alone.
    I tried many different app... Runkeeper, Nike, wahoo fitness and even iwatch workout. Any other app could work?
    I have a third part hear rate device if needed (Wahoo HR chest belt). Do I have to use that or Iwatch build in heart rate?

Thanks for any set up help

Cesar

2. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

The Apple Watch will record heart rate, exercise, move, and stand data when away from the iPhone and sync to it when within range. What it cannot do is record accurate route and distance information as the Apple Watch does not contain a built in GPS receiver. If you've used it for a while with the iPhone it will give a fairly accurate estimate of distance, but not route when working out without the iPhone. The voice feedback will require that the iPhone with you and be connected to the Apple Watch.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  3. cesarpalm

cesarpalm New Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport

Thanks for replying

But may I hear voice feedback (time, distance, heart rate, etc..) in my hearphone paired with my watch alone during my exercise?

Regards.

Cesar

4. scifan57

scifan57 Administrator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

I'm not positive but I believe that you'll need your paired iPhone within range to get the voice feedback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet Well-Known Member

Model:
    Apple Watch Sport
    Most third party watch apps have limited or no functionality when separated from the iPhone. What features they can do will depend entirely on the app, there is no general system to force feed features from the iPhone side, so it's best to read the app's description closely. If in doubt contact the app's developer. I've used Runmeter in the past. It has a lot of voice feedback options, but as far as I know they will only work directly through the iPhone. Even if they worked through the watche's bluetooth headphones, the iPhone would still need to be present.

Chances are that the features you want are not going to work without the iPhone in range of the watch, and if you're carrying the iPhone you might just as well pair the headphons with it instead of the watch. It would be more reliable.

watchOS 3 will be out soon, and will offer developers more flexibity and power along these lines, but it will still be up to them to impliment it. Feedback on developer support pages 'might' help; eventually.

• Like Like x 2